Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AmateurHour  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2016 10:58:38 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)

Note: This is entirely separate from the Manitowish River Scenic Area and from the Manitowish Wild Resources Area. I haven't yet visited either of those.

At the risk of begging for more traffic in this neck of the woods, it's really become one of my favorite spots for weekend or otherwise short overnight paddle trips. The area is a fairly recent (circa 1950s?) impoundment with a ton of hidden stumps, so motor traffic is extremely infrequent. There are only five sites and about half a dozen cabins/houses in the entire stretch from the dam/launch up to Fishtrap Lake. The cabins/houses are clustered together across from site 13, but they're up the hill, mostly hidden by trees, and generally very quiet. The site smack in the middle and at least an hour from any put-in, MR-12, is totally remote and laid out as nicely as any site I've seen anywhere.

Wisconsin appears to manage the fishing in this piece of the river in conjunction with Fishtrap and High Lakes, but the flowage's completely different makeup means the restrictive panfish regs give it some quirks. First, it seems completely infested with 8-10" crappie, perfect for loading up a fish fry. Paddle-trolling a tiny Rap shallow diver is the way to get it done without much effort. There are also plenty of bluegill and pumpkinseeds for those who prefer to drop anchor and bobber fish. Buzzbaits in the ubiquitous pads pretty regularly turn up small largemouth. There are also some very small walleye on occasion, and it really looks like there should be some northern crusing around.

In short, you should totally give this place a look if you have a chance. Just don't take my campsite!

thanks 1 user thanked AmateurHour for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 8/29/2016(UTC)
Sponsor
AmateurHour  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2016 12:19:13 PM(UTC)

If the person who I met at the launch on Saturday afternoon was there because of reading the above post, sorry we didn't have more time to talk!

AmateurHour  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 3, 2017 5:32:22 AM(UTC)

Quick final note: If you visit for the first time before the weeds grow in, BE CAREFUL! The submerged wood comes right up to just below the surface, so it's very easy to have a scare if you wander off the channel.

Ben Strege  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 3, 2017 9:10:37 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Originally Posted by: AmateurHour Go to Quoted Post

Quick final note: If you visit for the first time before the weeds grow in, BE CAREFUL! The submerged wood comes right up to just below the surface, so it's very easy to have a scare if you wander off the channel.

Is that from personal experience? 

AmateurHour  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 4, 2017 10:06:35 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Ben Strege Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: AmateurHour Go to Quoted Post

Is that from personal experience? 

You know it. Good thing (in this case) that we tend to pack heavy and that Ol' Ironsides weighs a million pounds. Something lighter might have tipped. Then again, maybe something lighter would have just floated right over! In any case, I'm glad that I ice fished the area a couple weeks back and refreshed my memory for spring paddling.