Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mavryk1971  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 1, 2017 9:14:55 AM(UTC)

Planning a trip in mid-August leaving from EP84 on the Snake river and would like to make basecamp on Gabbro.  Made a trip with my son a few years back and we entered from EP33 and I believe we camped on Bald Eagle first night, and it remember it was a pretty full day of paddling and a couple of portages to get there via the Isabellla. Snake River route is shorter I believe?  I'm thinking entering on the Snake river it would be about 6 hours to get to Gabbro? I will be taking my adult son, adult daughter and wife.  I remember a very nice campsite on the North side of Gabbro on a large granite outcropping that I hope to use.  Anyone made this trip recently?

Thank you!

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 1, 2017 11:14:21 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

To get to Gabbro, EP 33 would definitely be more direct:

To get to Bald Eagle, both are about the same, depending on where on Bald Eagle you are going:

mavryk1971  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 1, 2017 12:03:16 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the info!  I should have been more clear about what I was wanting to do on the trip.  Want to travel through Bald Eagle, with side trips to Gull/Pietro/and Turtle, transit Gabbro and exit Little Gabbro at Ep33.  Previous trip we put in at EP75 and exited at Ep33.  I believe we camped at site 1710 at Gabbro.  Looking at the map, I am thinking it would probably be a better plan to camp on Bald Eagle for the side trips.  Any thoughts about campsites on Bald Eagle?  I am thinking1730 looks good and would be a good base camp for the side trips.  

Any info about the fishing in mid-August would be appreciated.  Have heard Turtle is full of Northerns.  We're not picky- smallies, walleys, northerns, crappies would all be welcome!  I plan on bringing crawlers and leeches, and an assortment of jigs, spoons, crawler rigs and slip bobber rigs.  

Walter Eyed Pike  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 4, 2017 6:24:50 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)

From a fishing standpoint-- Crawlers are hard to keep lively as it's difficult to keep them cool.  I've found bright colored jigs work best and work even better if there is a spinner of some sort attached to them, lots of varietys of these type out there.  

Also-- not sure what type of fishing line you use, but you will get stuck on rocks, you will get stuck on trees--- braided is great and what I generally use, but up there, I would highly reccomend Mono line. 

BillConner  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 4, 2017 7:19:50 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Your campsite options in August will be limited by how many other groups there are in August.

1730 is large but shady. Only stopped there but recall thinking our whole Scout troop could find tent space. I like sun and breeze, so not for me in August.

I stayed at 1727 and it was very pleasant. I also Thought 1719 looked nice - just a stop, I didn't camp there. And 1711 - I think your Gabbro site - and the nearby 1708 - are choice but usually occupied.