Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TuscaroraBorealis  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 18, 2017 10:19:12 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)

As my screen name indicates, Tuscarora Lake holds a special place in my heart.  So, it sickens me to inform of the discovery (on a very recent trip) of a trashed campsite on that beautiful lake.  If portaging in from Missing Link Lake, it would be the first site to the west (#517 on north shore).     We gathered up all the trash we could find and left it near the firegrate but, there were still several larger live trees that were cut down that we left where they lay.  Plus, I'm sure there was also stuff we didn't find - as there was 'garbage' everywhere including the lake!

The Forest Service has been notified.

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 19, 2017 12:25:13 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

That's too bad. I just came back from a trip to Perent Lake with my 7-year-old and 3-year-old sons. While the campsite was pretty good (if well-used), there was one thing that really bothered me, and my 7-year-old recognized right away what was wrong. He even pointed it out to me. There were several birch trees that had been girdled, and the bark was never even used to start a fire - it was just laying on the ground. My son said, "Why would they do that? The tree is going to die now. That is the first thing we learn in scouts." (I am a scoutmaster, and he has been on several camping trips with me when I explain to the Boy Scouts how they should act in the outdoors.)

Walter Eyed Pike  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2017 8:49:58 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)

That's horrible-- Thank you both for teaching others how to act and for also cleaning up after others. It's unfortunate that this must happen-- but it is also comforting to know there are good people out there willing to do the "dirty" work. 

I just spent last weekend on the island campsite on Burnt lake-- also a well used site-- there were a lot of green branches freshly cut, some saplings freshly cut down and there were a few trees that looked like they became target practice for people with hatchets and knives.  There was also enough rope and para-chord in the tree's to equip 10 groups.  Overall, human trash wasn't terrible, but natural trash was very dissapointing. 

TuscaroraBorealis  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 29, 2017 3:47:50 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)