Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
happypaddler  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2018 8:11:55 PM(UTC)

Planning on August trip that includes the chain of lakes from Louisa to the Falls Chain, and then down the Maligne River to Kawnipi, and finally back to PP via Kahshapiwi. Anybody have any information about the portages between Louisa Falls and the Maligne River(falls chain) would be greatly appreciated. 

Sponsor
BillConner  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 8, 2018 6:40:34 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
If you mean the McEwen chain, did that a few years ago. One of my favorite routes. I went opposite direction but nothing especially difficult. I recall the portage from Arp (?) to Louisa was a little hard to follow but we made it. Other portages not especially memorable. Loved Glacier.

Not much help I guess. Just a route I'd like to repeat.
happypaddler  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 8, 2018 7:20:59 AM(UTC)

That's good to know. Somewhere I had read that some of the portages had nasty put-ins. But I've also read that it is a very scenic route. Thanks for the information Bill!
BillConner  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 8, 2018 7:31:03 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I may not be best basis for landings and such. Landings are my lowest priority for judging campsites and such. I get in and out of canoe in knee to thigh deep water, May through October. But there was nothing special I recall and the McEwen river was Nirvana. My favorite kind of paddling - still even if windy, tall grass and plants, twisty and winding channels. Like the upper Isabella River into North Bay.

I'm envious - wish I was going back there today!
happypaddler  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 8, 2018 7:39:00 AM(UTC)

I do the same; a confirmed wet-footer. I'll let you know how it went when I get back. (Isabella River is a great route, btw) I plan on taking a few thousand photos, too.