Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ben Strege  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 9:46:39 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

BWCA permits went on sale about 45 minutes ago. I picked up two just to be sure I had sort of a tentative plan:

Lizz Lake, July 26 - Hopefully a family trip with my family and my sister's family

Clearwater Lake, August 5 - I've never gone to this section of the BWCA. Hopefully this is the year!

Sponsor
Sluggman42  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 9:54:25 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Ben, did you actually get the permit system to work? I've been trying since it opened with no success.
Ben Strege  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 10:18:19 AM(UTC)

I managed to get my permits. It was a little slow at times - I chaulked that up to how many people must be on the site. I must have just gotten mine before they closed the site due to "technical difficulties."

eagle98mn  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 9:28:30 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Ben Strege Go to Quoted Post

Clearwater Lake, August 5 - I've never gone to this section of the BWCA. Hopefully this is the year!

I really love this area. If it works for you, stop at Clearwater Historic Lodge to check out their lodge. It is a nice place to enjoy breakfast before heading in, or a cold beverage when you are done! We outfit through them whenever we are in the area.

Ben Strege  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 1:10:31 AM(UTC)

Too bad I'll have to reserve the permits again. It sounds like all transactions that actually went through will be reversed. I don't know when the system will be back up, but they will give 48 hours notice before permits go on sale again.

Sluggman42  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 9, 2019 7:00:10 PM(UTC)

Most recent rumor that I've heard is that permits will go back on sale on Feb 27th.  To be clear that is not confirmed, but may provide some idea of where we stand. 

Sluggman42  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2019 7:34:44 AM(UTC)

Forest Service announces tentative date for reopening Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness permit process
DULUTH, Minn. (February 8, 2019) The USDA Forest Service anticipates reopening the process to reserve Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness quota permits on February 27, 2019. Prior to the tentative reopening date for the reservation system the Forest Service is working on the following actions:
• fixing a technical problem in the BWCAW sale software;
• additional planned training for permit cooperators who rely on the system;
• and additional testing to ensure a smooth launch of the updated system.
Once the above schedule of actions is successfully completed the Forest Service will confirm the reopening date and move forward with broad public outreach to notify the public of the new reservation period.
“We deeply regret the difficulty this has caused, and I want to thank the members of the community who are working with us to make this transition to an online reservation system successful,” said Superior National Forest Supervisor Connie Cummins. “Our goal is to ensure the reservation system provides a fair and open means for the public to visit the Boundary Waters and support the local businesses that depend on this special place.”
The problem in the BWCAW permit reservation process last Wednesday resulted in many people unable to access the BWCAW reservation process when it opened. This lead to only a small number of people being able to reserve a permit. The Forest Service halted the process for applying for BWCAW permits, then directed Recreation.gov to cancel and refund any reservations that were processed.
The BWCAW, located on the Superior National Forest in Minnesota, is one of over 3,500 facilities across the country which utilize Recreation.gov to manage their permit reservation processes. Within the national reservation system, customers can simultaneously apply for and secure a reservation for a permit.

Important part is highlighted.  Hopefully it works this time.  

thanks 1 user thanked Sluggman42 for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 2/11/2019(UTC)
Ben Strege  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2019 2:07:15 PM(UTC)

Permits are on sale... again! Things went smoothly for me this morning. I got a Lizz Lake permit and a Clearwater Lake permit. I have never been to the east side (Gunflint Trail), so I am excited to explore that part of the BWCA.

Canoer97  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2019 3:05:32 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I picked up a Lizz Lake entry also. Mine's for September. The only hitch was about the followup email to crew members listed as alternates. This is not necessary for 2019. And you must have an email address if you are listed as an alternate on the permit. All went well and now we are ready for September 2019.