Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
corkbeck  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2019 6:34:02 PM(UTC)

I have been canoeing in BWCA and Quetico about 15 times. The last 4 have been 10 day solo's. I currently have a permit for 18 days starting at Carp lake entry for May 28th. My original plan was to paddle up the man chain then thru the falls chain, kawnipi, agnes and back to prairie portage. However since I found this site and have been reading about the portages around the falls I am concerned that doing this in the spring with the higher water may be to to dangerous for a solo paddler. I am looking for some advise from a paddlers who have been through these portages.

As a back up I also have a BWCA permit that I could use after I am thru the man chain and after camping on saganagons a few days. I could then do a long loop back to praire portage with the time I have left if my orginal route is not feasable. Thanks

Sponsor
BillConner  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2019 6:25:02 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I have not been through in spring, only July and August, but it was easy to take the alternate portages- further upstream from falls than primary portage. I would not bypass it.

I did your route with 13 year old son - great trip. I will add a more favorite route was half way up Falls Chain then through McEwen Chain. Glorious. With 18 days you might incorporate some of it. Or next year.
corkbeck  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2019 10:04:06 PM(UTC)

That sounds great, thank you for the information. I take it I just have to keep my eyes open because these alternate porches are not on the maps? Also are there alternates portages around all of the falls or just the ones that where they have talked about the main porridge being very close to the top of the falls. Any other information you have on that favorite route would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks!
BillConner  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 6:29:41 AM(UTC)

I have been given a map of the alternate portages- by ranger at check in. I have seen a scan of one on line.

I think you'll be fine unless it's a once in 10 or 20 year high water, and the ranger will be sure you know and work with you on the spot to make adjustments if needed.
thanks 1 user thanked BillConner for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 3/20/2019(UTC)
corkbeck  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 6:00:31 PM(UTC)

Thanks for tip, I will make sure I get them marked on my map. 

BillConner  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 7:57:23 PM(UTC)

thanks 1 user thanked BillConner for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 3/22/2019(UTC)
Joe_Schmeaux  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 6:13:43 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)

I did the falls chain solo a couple of years ago in June, and didn't have any problems with current or portage landings, though I was going in the opposite direction from your planned route. But as Bill Conner has mentioned, make sure you get a copy of the Falls Chain portage map from the ranger station before you head out so you know which side of the river the landings are supposed to be on.

Edited by user Sunday, May 19, 2019 12:09:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

BillConner  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2019 7:14:09 AM(UTC)

I actually got my map at PP station FWIW.
corkbeck  
#9 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2019 1:24:29 PM(UTC)

Thanks for that information I appreciate it.