Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
vcchristensen  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 18, 2014 11:18:04 PM(UTC)

Planning a trip for July 2015 with a Boy Scout Troop from Illinois. We will have boys between 13 & 17 years old with 6 adult leaders. Some in shape and some not so much.

Thinking of entering at Mudro and heading up to Lower Basswood Falls area. Going through Horse Lake and river.  Is that trip possible in one day for us, or would that be pushing it. We wanted to basecamp up in that area for three or four days.

What is up in that area to see ? Good fishing areas ?

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2014 10:26:02 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Travel Time

I took my scout troop to the BWCA this past year. They were only semi-experienced canoeists, so while planning I assumed they would paddle 2.5 mph. Surprisingly, this is what we actually averaged, so I assume your boys will be similar. Efficient portaging will be a big factor. If they have never done this before, the first portage or two will be chaos, so that will increase the portage time. (Example - our first portage was 5 rods, and it took us 40 minutes. They improved significantly through the week.)

Assuming 2.5 mph paddling speed, 2 mph portaging speed, double portaging, and taking 10 minutes to load/unload, it will take 7 hours to get from Mudro to Lower Basswood Falls (Route Map). That in itself is a long day, especially for those not in as good of shape. However, since there will be portage chaos (count on it), you'll need to add a lot of time to that. Whichever way you look at it, it would be a very long day. In addition, you may not even have that much daylight, depending on the time you actually get going.

In short, I don't think you can do that in one day with a scout troop.

Group Size

Not sure if you are aware of it, but groups are limited to 9 people and 4 canoes. It sounds like you have a much bigger group than that. You will need to split into more than one group. The 9 person/4 canoe rule applies anywhere in the Boundary Waters, meaning no more than 9 people/4 canoes can be gathered in any one spot at any time. This means that your groups basically will not be able to interact. The easiest way to ensure this is to go your separate ways - take different routes.

Guide

You didn't mention who was leading the group, so I'll just throw in my two cents. I would recommend that at least one adult leader in each group have prior BWCA experience (and have done it more than once). If no one does, I would highly recommend going through the high adventure base or hiring a guide. If it were just a group of adults going for the first time, I wouldn't necessarily say this, but for scouts, you need someone with experience with you. We self-guided our own trip, but we had three people with prior experience to lead the two groups.

Basswood Falls Area

I haven't been to the Basswood Falls area myself, but it should be decent fishing. There are several different falls in that area (Lower Basswood, Upper Basswood, Wheelbarrow) that should offer good fishing. (As with any falls, make sure the scouts understand the dangers associated with them.)

If you would like to look at other areas, I have a few I can recommend.

Edited by user Friday, December 19, 2014 1:41:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

vcchristensen  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2014 11:28:53 AM(UTC)

I am getting two permits for two groups. We all want to go to the same area but will stay seperated . We are using an outfitter and getting all food and equipment through them.
I thought that might be too long of a day. Maybe we will stay the first night on Horse.
Ben Strege  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2014 1:36:42 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: vcchristensen Go to Quoted Post
I thought that might be too long of a day. Maybe we will stay the first night on Horse.

I think that is a good idea. Just make sure you get permits for entry point 23 instead of 22. EP 22 doesn't allow camping on Horse.

Gavia  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2014 11:43:38 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)

Something to bear in mind: If you're going into Horse, there are a few very tough portages. One is called "Billy Goat Ridge" by some and "Heart Attack Hill" by others. It's about 120 rods long and very steep and rocky. The only time I sprained an ankle in the BW was on that portage, carrying a mere 40 lbs. The portage just to the north involves a 10-15 foot sheer drop off a rock, unless the river is high enough to paddle through.

With a group of newbies you might want to enter at Fall Lake. It's 14 miles from there to Basswood Falls, which would be a long day except there are only two portages and they're the easiest ones in the whole BW, except they're longish (80 and 90 rods). I'd recommend camping on Pipestone Bay the first night. You can get to a campsite by noon and spend the afternoon dealing with camp stuff. Everything takes longer, and the bigger the group the longer it takes. You'll also want plenty of time to deal with issues like non-cooperation, conflict between group members, and a host of leadership and skill issues.

Another good entry point is Lake One. It's very popular - and with good reason - so if you want to go in there it's best to get your permit early.

The best advice I can offer is to leave yourselves lots of room for screw-ups. I've done 14 trips (8 of them solo) and there isn't one where I didn't make a mistake of some kind.

One final word: have fun!

vcchristensen  
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2014 12:00:09 AM(UTC)

What about staying on Fourtown and just taking a day trip to Lower Basswood Falls ?
Ben Strege  
#7 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2014 7:53:51 AM(UTC)

From Fourtown, that might be a long day trip. It would take at least 3 hours one way. It probably wouldn't leave a lot of time for fishing. It might be more doable if you are staying on Horse. Of course, that also depends on where you are staying on Horse since that is a big lake, too. From the closer campsites, it would be a two hour trip one way.

vcchristensen  
#8 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2014 12:20:47 PM(UTC)

Being first imers I am thinking maybe making it a little easier.We could enter at Mudro and make the portages into Jackfish Bay. Paddle north and base camp at the north end of either Jackfish or Pipestone Bay. How is that area ? Then we could head south down Pipestone Bay to Fall Lake and paddle right back to the outfitter.

vcchristensen  
#9 Posted : Sunday, December 21, 2014 2:09:31 AM(UTC)

What is it like in the Washington Island area ? Crowded ? Motor boat traffic ?

vcchristensen  
#10 Posted : Sunday, December 21, 2014 2:10:35 AM(UTC)

Thinking Moose to Washington Island area ?

Ben Strege  
#11 Posted : Sunday, December 21, 2014 8:26:58 AM(UTC)

Motors are allowed south and west of the island but not the north and east. It is probably crowded - I know Moose Lake is very busy. For a scout trip, though, you may not be concerned about that. We went through Moose Lake and Lake One for our scout trip, two of the busiest entry points in the BWCA. Seclusion was not one of our goals. The only other thing I would be worried about is wind. Basswood is a large lake. This past year some scouts had to be rescued after capsizing on Basswood.

vcchristensen  
#12 Posted : Saturday, December 27, 2014 9:20:40 PM(UTC)

Lets say we want to head out Moose Lake up to Ensign and want a tow boat across Moose. Are there places we can use even if we use a different outfitter ?

Ben Strege  
#13 Posted : Saturday, December 27, 2014 9:37:55 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: vcchristensen Go to Quoted Post
Lets say we want to head out Moose Lake up to Ensign and want a tow boat across Moose. Are there places we can use even if we use a different outfitter?

You can book a tow through most outfitters whether or not you use their other services, but usually they offer a discount if you use their outfitting services as well. We rented canoes from LaTourell's. They also have tow services. Another one on Moose Lake is Williams and Hall. I'm sure there are others, but these are the two I'm familiar with.

Make sure they know you are a scout troop. As you probably know, outfitters offer discounts for scouts and other nonprofit groups.

TuscaroraBorealis  
#14 Posted : Friday, January 2, 2015 5:33:10 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)

http://www.paddleplanner.com/tripreports/tripreport.aspx?reportnum=72  We stayed at the site right below Lower Basswood Falls this past fall.  Perhaps the trip report will give you sone ideas.