Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TuscaroraBorealis  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 31, 2019 3:59:17 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)

What are everyone's plans (canoe trips) for 2020?

Thinking about a Cross Bay Lake EP #50 trip but, I haven't hammered out the particulars yet.  Currently playing around in the map section. 

I'm sure there will be at least a couple of others too.  Maybe a fall John lake entry and a shorter summer trip at an undetermined area/EP

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 31, 2019 10:59:47 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I did the Cross Bay to Long Island route last year with my 10-year-old son. It was a lot of fun.

2020 plans? Not quite sure yet. I am planning on taking a friend and his kids with me and my kids somewhere. That will be a short trip. I'll probably do a week-long one with my wife and another with my 10-year-old. I want to get back up to the Quetico (haven't been there in a couple of years). Maybe take a scout troop, too. It will be fun to dream and plan the next few months.

BillConner  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 1, 2020 6:49:31 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Hard to know having moved so I'm now 20+ hours away versus the 9-10 previously. Canoecopia.
Paddlefest in Old Forge including camping at a state park on an island. Some more local waterway exploration and maybe into the Adirondacks. Would like to start if not finish NFCT. And will try to get a trip in BWCAW or the Q. Being three hours from Algonquin I may try that. I have the feeling there is no place quite like BWCAW and Quetico.
eagle98mn  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 1, 2020 12:21:05 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Unsure of the exact entry points, but I'll probably be up there twice. I'll likely do a September trip with some guys as I often do, but I'm most looking forward to taking my 7 year old son on his first trip this year! My primary tripping buddy and I both got clearance from our wives to take our boys up there, so this will be a Dads and Sons trip. I'm excited to share the area with our boys! We are leaning toward entering at East Bearskin with plans to camp on Canoe or one of the surrounding lakes.
bfurlow  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 1, 2020 6:39:38 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Every year I get a permit for August 13th at Missing Link.Have not made the trip yet, but I still get it every year. One of these days! 

Other than that, I am lokng at differetnt maps trying to find an entry and route that would be good for a solo trip. Did Baker Lake entry 2 years ago and loved it. May look at Gunfilnt entries this time around.

AmateurHour  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 2, 2020 10:13:48 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)

Went pretty international last year with Scotland and first Quetico trip, so I've been pining for the fjords of Sag. Thinking maybe a combined BWCA 55 / Man Chain trip this year. Plus of course the usual knocking around in northern WI. :)

Bfurlow, there are some nice solo loops in the EP 54/55 area: Topaz/Cherry/Hanson, down to SAK and back, or even just through Alpine and around. Just gotta be super careful with the big water.

Edited by user Thursday, January 2, 2020 10:23:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mike Monahan  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 4, 2020 10:20:47 PM(UTC)

My wife and I will be flying into Wabikimi over the 4th for a 10 day trip and in August we'll be taking our kids (5 and 8) on their first trip.  We plan on entering at Cross Bay and traveling down to Long Island Lake or Frost Lake.  Cheers to a good year for all! Protect the Boundary Waters!

Wally13  
#8 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 11:45:17 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Planning on a 2 week Quetico trip with Lerome entry on June 22nd and exiting via Nym July 6th. I am getting 2 knee replacement surgeries ... Feb 6th and March 19th ... and route will depend on how rehab goes. Cirrus, Quetico, Kasakokwog are among the lakes going to visit.
BillConner  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2020 5:21:07 AM(UTC)

Elaborating, in midst of retiring, finishing a dozen or so projects under construction, and adjusting to a new community and new to me house, including a kitchen remodeling. But saw some publication that mentioned going into Wabakimi - a bucket list item - by train - and it occurred that while most use this to enter via Armstrong or Savant Lake, I'm close to Toronto where the west bound originates some 24 hours before it reaches Wabakimi. So intrigued by entering and exiting at Allanwater Bridge via Toronto.
Frenchy19  
#10 Posted : Monday, January 27, 2020 7:42:29 PM(UTC)

Quetico solo mid June with an Agnes entry. Futz around the lakes west of Agnes enroute to Kawnipi to fish. Then, down to Kenny to McEwn and the small lakes before Louisa and Agnes and back to Moose. No specific length; probably 2ish weeks.

A July Q trip with my wife is in the works, and I am trying to sell her on a Beaverhouse entry as I have never seen that part of the park.

EDIT: The mid June solo is now up the Gunflint for an East Bearskin entry with Caribou as a destination to fish. Reason for the change is Deb, my wife, wants to head into Kahshapiwi in July and paddle up to the poets' chain, and swing back down through NE Kawnipi and Agnes. That route is too similar to the solo I had planned, so up the Gunflint I go in June; know that area really well and it is probably my favorite in the entire BW. August trip may happen, depends on a variety of factors, however.

Edited by user Sunday, February 16, 2020 1:43:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mmarksnp  
#11 Posted : Saturday, February 1, 2020 8:58:36 AM(UTC)

With a crew of 6, 3 of us experienced and 3 rookies.  Going to give them a little bit of everything. Only have 5 days due to our 20 hour drive. Entering Lake 1 heading west through Insula, pictoglyphs at Flash, up the Kawishiwi to Little Sag, then NW through Eddy Falls, South arm of Knife to Thunder point and then down the border exiting at Moose. Can't wait as always. 3rd week of July

justincarl  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2020 9:55:00 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Sea Gull to Rog to wherever we feel like.  My wife and I are taking 2 BWCA virgins.  It's their trip, I'm just a guide.

bharrop  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2020 6:26:44 PM(UTC)

I was planning a Aitkens lake look trip but the Covid19 ened that for me was unable to get a permit for woodland Caribou Not a resident of ontario. so just putting in  this yaer on a few one nighters as my vacation was blown off Next year should be better

BillConner  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2020 5:42:56 AM(UTC)

I hope next year is better.
BillConner  
#15 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2020 5:44:01 AM(UTC)

I actually am heading out tomorrow fir Grand Falls, West Fork, Maine. It's part of the North Forest Canoe Trail. Volunteer work weekends - improving a landing and a camp site - and 4 or 5 days of paddling the trail between work weekends.