Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Canadaorbust10  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2020 8:17:45 PM(UTC)

Thanks for reading, each spring a friend and I take a trip to Quetico exploring, canoeing and portaging over 7-10 days... this spring the trip will likely be limited to the US. Always being just north of the boundary waters this may be a great opportunity for us to explore regional areas, does anyone have a recomendation of a trip with a simular time limit?  Pre-requisite, less people the better! 

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2020 9:43:28 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Is fishing important? There are a couple of remote areas that would fit, but the fishing is not great on most of it. How far do you typically paddle each day? How many layover days do you typically have?

BillConner  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2020 6:00:44 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
If you are open to a shuttle, I'd consider something like LIS north to Gunflint. If you'd prefer to avoid logistics and expense of shuttle, Id look at a near loop Hog Creek, west across the Isabella River, Bald Eagle, Gabbros and north on Kawishiwi River, and east ending up at Kawishiwi Lake EP. Short hike to Hog Creek EP. Maybe go north from Bald Eagle through Gull, Clearwater, and Rock Island. One really tough and maybe nit maintained portage but lots of solitude and Clearwater is a favorite lake.

Two ideas that appeal to me, and I prefer and have most trips in the Q.