Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mad Birdman  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 14, 2015 6:27:25 PM(UTC)

Going this year in mid-June as usual, for one week. Plan to use a tow across LLC, and we're considering accessing the park through Martin Bay, going in to northern Minn, through the Darky River to Darkwater Lake, then on to William, and the Conmee/Brent/Suzanette area. Some questions:

1. Anyone ever had a dropoff in Martin Bay? It seems like most use Black Robe portage.

2. Assuming a normal end of winter/spring rainfall situation, is paddling up the Darky River going to be doable? My group went up the Maligne last year before they shut it down and did not have a good experience, to say the least. We made it, but it "took a chunk" out of our desire to do much upriver paddling.

3. I have read that storms/blowdowns last summer (2014) really damaged that area, making the Darky River portages quite wrecked with blowdowns, and even rendering some campsites in Minn unusable. Does anyone know (or could someone guess) if there has been any clearing activity in the area from the park crews? I will be at Copia and can ask the park people there, but just curious. 

Thanks in advance for any information. 

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 15, 2015 1:39:35 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I won't be of much help on this one - I'm a lot more familiar with the western BWCA or northern Quetico. I saw you asked the same question on QuietJourney, so hopefully you get answers from someone. If you do find answers, come back and share - I'm sure others (including myself) are a little curious as well, especially about the blowdown information.