Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
doncardinal  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2020 11:53:53 AM(UTC)

if the park is open this summer,i'm hoping to plan a 5to 7 day trip in quetico..my wife and i are intermediate paddlers. we are not sure if we should do north east area,french pickerel,beg bisk..or beaverhouse,quetico,cirrus.anything to help narrow the search. we would like to paddle 4 to 5 hrs. per day. im 60 years old but in fairly good shape..

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2020 11:27:13 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Can you tell us any of your goals or things you would like to see? Solitude? Fishing? Small lakes vs large lakes?

BillConner  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2020 5:47:57 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
There are so many great choices. If any entry point is an option, I have to think Beaverhouse is my first choice for objective considerations. Pictos, falls, easy portage options, grand slam fishing, burn areas, many great camp sites, and relative solitude.

For sentimental reasons a favorite, and a highly regarded route, PP to Kashapiwi, Trant, and S Chain back to PP is very nice trip. Easy 5 days.

If you have 6-7 nights, starting at PP (or at Cache Bay) Man Chain, Falls Chain to Wet, McEwen Chain to Louisa, and out through the Meadows Chain. Emphasis is on solitude, scenery, and adventure.

My top 3 but there are just so many.
Chris Hoepker  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 1, 2020 7:07:04 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
The only thing I like more than trekking in Quetico is writing about Quetico.

Choice of entry point is important, especially if you have less than a week. In my experience going in at Prairie Portage or Crane Lake results in spending a day or so getting to the good stuff. On the other hand, going in at Stanton Bay (my favorite) puts you in the solitude just as soon as the bottom of the canoe gets wet. The Nym entry is good too but a little too civilized for my taste.

From Stanton you can make a really nice round trip to Russell without your canoe parting more than a couple km of the same water twice. My proposal: Stanton Bay (Pickerel) – Bisk – Beg – Bud – Olifaunt – Sturgeon – Russell – Sturgeon - Halliday – Elizabeth – Jesse – Maria – Pickerel and back to Stanton Bay. This route is simple to lengthen by going down Sturgeon to Lonely Creek and then take the Lonely – Walter route to Elizabeth – Jesse – Maria and back to Pickerel. Shortening is pretty simple too – from Russell, go up Sturgeon to the Deux Rivières and Dore and on back to Pickerel. If you feel up to a little more punishment and your marriage is on real solid ground, you could lengthen the trip by going from Russell all the way down Sturgeon and then head north on the Rouge – Burntside – Jean route to Quetico. From Quetico you take the Oriana – Jesse – Maria shot to Pickerel.

Happy Paddling!
bronzeback  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2021 9:32:12 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Chris Hoepker Go to Quoted Post
The only thing I like more than trekking in Quetico is writing about Quetico.

Choice of entry point is important, especially if you have less than a week. In my experience going in at Prairie Portage or Crane Lake results in spending a day or so getting to the good stuff. On the other hand, going in at Stanton Bay (my favorite) puts you in the solitude just as soon as the bottom of the canoe gets wet. The Nym entry is good too but a little too civilized for my taste.

From Stanton you can make a really nice round trip to Russell without your canoe parting more than a couple km of the same water twice. My proposal: Stanton Bay (Pickerel) – Bisk – Beg – Bud – Olifaunt – Sturgeon – Russell – Sturgeon - Halliday – Elizabeth – Jesse – Maria – Pickerel and back to Stanton Bay. This route is simple to lengthen by going down Sturgeon to Lonely Creek and then take the Lonely – Walter route to Elizabeth – Jesse – Maria and back to Pickerel. Shortening is pretty simple too – from Russell, go up Sturgeon to the Deux Rivières and Dore and on back to Pickerel. If you feel up to a little more punishment and your marriage is on real solid ground, you could lengthen the trip by going from Russell all the way down Sturgeon and then head north on the Rouge – Burntside – Jean route to Quetico. From Quetico you take the Oriana – Jesse – Maria shot to Pickerel.

Happy Paddling!

Just remember that Americans are not allowed to park at Stanton Bay, so they will need a shuttle.

Chris Hoepker  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2021 1:45:44 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Many thanks to bronzeback for pointing out that Americans are not allowed to park at Stanton Bay. I did not know this. (Passing on info like this is a good example of the many benefits of a website like Paddle Planner.)

Both of the times that I went in at Stanton Bay, an outfitter drove us in. The first time we arranged it this way because we wanted to exit at Nym Lake and the next was that we hadn’t rented a car at all. Considering the condition of the road, it was in both cases my impression that not every car would benefit from being driven in to Stanton Bay.

Why are Americans not allowed to park at Stanton Bay? I have no idea but my guess would be good old Canadian protectionism.
Ben Strege  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2021 1:58:31 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Chris Hoepker Go to Quoted Post
Many thanks to bronzeback for pointing out that Americans are not allowed to park at Stanton Bay. I did not know this. (Passing on info like this is a good example of the many benefits of a website like Paddle Planner.)

Both of the times that I went in at Stanton Bay, an outfitter drove us in. The first time we arranged it this way because we wanted to exit at Nym Lake and the next was that we hadn’t rented a car at all. Considering the condition of the road, it was in both cases my impression that not every car would benefit from being driven in to Stanton Bay.

Why are Americans not allowed to park at Stanton Bay? I have no idea but my guess would be good old Canadian protectionism.

Americans used to be allowed. I remember when we would drive in. They changed the rule to give the northern outfitters a boost.