Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ben Strege  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 2, 2021 3:19:47 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Great news! After a lot of research and work, I was able to overhaul the route calculation system. It is now about 600 times faster! Many of the old limitations do not apply any more. You can calculate a route from French Lake in the Quetico to Trout Lake in the BWCA using just two points. Distance between points is no longer a factor. It also does not matter any more if the two points are in line with each other or not. For example, routing between Lake One and Snowbank Lake was difficult before because the route goes out way beyond the straight-line route between the two. No longer a problem

Some other things can still be a problem, but I tried mitigating their impact. For example, using custom points (i.e. middle of the lake instead of using entry points, campsites, and portages) still can take a while to calculate. However, I think the calculation time is much less now.

I am still working out some issues with the "max area" calculation." I think it is faster now, but the time is still unacceptable. I'll be working on it.

The Free vs Map Enthusiast limitations still apply. For example, you still need to have a Map Enthusiast membership to do multipoint routing.

Edited by user Tuesday, March 2, 2021 4:02:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
eagle98mn on 3/7/2021(UTC)
Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 3, 2021 5:53:31 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I improved the "route area" calculation. It is now really fast. I kept the free limits at 4 hours or 12 miles. I set the map enthusiast limits at 24 hours or 144 miles. If you need the map enthusiast limits higher, just let me know. I figured 24 hours would be sufficient for most purposes, but I can make it higher without any problems.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
eagle98mn on 3/7/2021(UTC)
BillConner  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 4, 2021 10:25:28 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I only tested it on my phone and some impressive speed improvements. Crane Lake to John's Lake was neat. Some bugs probably doe to phone. Thank you!
eagle98mn  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 7, 2021 3:12:06 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Wow! Nice work Ben. I just ran a loop calculation starting at Hog Creek over to Clearwater (Ely) and back to Kawishiwi. This route bogged down in the past but was calculate almost instantly. I then did the border route from Crane Lake to Lake Superior. Same story. Thanks for the upgrade!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply