Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
OregonDave  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2021 1:48:42 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Oregon Dave  (aka Dave McTeague

also with Friends of Wabakimi.

Thanks to Ben, Auralee and Jay for putting up the Wabakimi section. Pray for the border to open, otherwise I'll be back in the BWCA like last year (and some Montana paddling too).

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2021 11:12:38 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Welcome to 2021, goodbye 2020! 

Of course, I am here. Big year ahead both for Paddle Planner and my own paddling excursions. Still figuring out details, but we will be canoeing as much as possible. The big trip will be my son's first Quetico trip to "Secret Lake" (hoping the border opens). My wife wants to try her first solo trip, probably to Baker Lake. I will be taking a scout group somewhere - have not decided on dates or locations just yet. I will take a solo trip as soon as my job allows me to, probably in late May.

Edited by user Saturday, January 23, 2021 11:14:44 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MagicPaddler  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2021 1:04:01 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I am still here. It would be nice if we knew when the border is going to open. All the speculation is frustrating and a real downer. .
AmateurHour  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2021 9:10:45 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)

Present, and just reserved for a new EP this year!

eagle98mn  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2021 2:20:47 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Here! Booked 2 permits today. One for South Kawishiwi River in August, a family trip that should be low key. The other is for September out of Brant Lake. A friend and I are going to loop over to Kek and back to Missing Link with a stop at Raven in the Mugwump PMA. That will be my first PMA experience so I'm excited!

August is a long way off, but I'm glad to have these on the calendar!

AmateurHour  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2021 2:56:34 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)

Originally Posted by: eagle98mn Go to Quoted Post

Here! Booked 2 permits today. One for South Kawishiwi River in August, a family trip that should be low key. The other is for September out of Brant Lake. A friend and I are going to loop over to Kek and back to Missing Link with a stop at Raven in the Mugwump PMA. That will be my first PMA experience so I'm excited!

August is a long way off, but I'm glad to have these on the calendar!

SKR is so good for low-key trips. If you have a kiddo, Bruin has quite a population of little crappie. We were hitting 4-6 inchers nonstop all afternoon just off the snags last June.

papasteve  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 30, 2021 9:06:48 AM(UTC)

EP54 on 8/8! I'm doing my first solo trip but base-camping on Red Rock. So, not a "trip" in the sense that I will be doing any other portaging other than the 10 rodder into RR. But...a week in the woods is what I'm looking forward to!

Gavia  
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2021 7:58:37 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Still here, still hoping for a BW trip this year.
Wally13  
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 14, 2021 10:25:54 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Wally13 present and accounted for. Waiting for this Covid pandemic to fade away so we can all get back to a normal life.
RJohnson  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2021 1:48:43 PM(UTC)

I'll be making my first trip to the BWCA on 7/2/21 for some adventures.  I'll be entering at EP 54 on Seagull.  Not new to canoeing, portaging, wilderness camping, etc.  Just new to the BWCA for recreational purposes.  I was there in 2006 as a firefighter for the USFS and it's been on my bucket list to return to the BWCA for pure enjoyment.  What a beautiful place!

BillConner  
#11 Posted : Saturday, February 20, 2021 5:56:40 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
RJohnson - welcome and enjoy!
PappyCase  
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 28, 2021 8:43:06 PM(UTC)

Got our EP 30 for early September, already packing!
Jackfish  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 31, 2021 4:35:24 PM(UTC)

Jackfish is here.

GHamer  
#14 Posted : Saturday, April 3, 2021 6:48:15 AM(UTC)

GHamer is here too.
Gavia  
#15 Posted : Saturday, April 3, 2021 10:33:03 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Gavia still here, loony as ever. Still struggling with chronic Lyme disease. Got out paddling once last year for an hour. Still longing to get back to the real world (wilderness canoeing). Hoping everyone has a great year.
TuscaroraBorealis  
#16 Posted : Saturday, April 3, 2021 11:00:31 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)

Had been taking somewhat of a break from internet so, checking in a little late.

Got a Cross Bay EP #50 permit reserved for late May (meant to do this trip last year but, had a change of heart).  Also, gonna try for at least a couple more shorter trips.  Looking like one of those will be out of East Bearskin.

Sock Lake spur

Aldy1  
#17 Posted : Saturday, April 3, 2021 11:26:57 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Present.

Permits booked for May and August so far. 

Cheers to a good season, everyone. 

Also, I really like the forum on the new website. Nice work!

BillConner  
#18 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2021 12:15:06 PM(UTC)

I may have noted I'm here, but using this  s test of new web site.

Bill

Mike Monahan  
#19 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2021 7:59:21 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Here and enjoying the new website!  We'll be heading to the BW mid May, Voyaguers in August and Silvania in early October.  Looking forward to another year on the water.  

HighnDry  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2021 1:15:28 PM(UTC)

I didn't realize that this forum existed. I'm here. Have a couple of trips planned starting in May. Visiting the LLC area

boonie  
#21 Posted : Saturday, April 17, 2021 7:28:09 AM(UTC)

Present, looks like WCPP/Wabakimi will not happen this year, but have BW permit in Sept. Hope everyone has a good trip and things improve soon.

goblu79  
#22 Posted : Thursday, April 29, 2021 8:10:02 PM(UTC)

Crooked Lake mid-late August. Unless Q opens....I ain't holding my breath. 

allie_hera  
#23 Posted : Friday, July 2, 2021 2:51:48 PM(UTC)

Beaverhouse to Nym on the books for 2021!! would love to hear any trip reports. :) Feeling so incredibly grateful!
MagicPaddler  
#24 Posted : Saturday, July 10, 2021 7:29:38 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)
No real report but just got back from Mudro down the Horse up crooked to where it turns west and back.
Water is low and the fishing is slow.
Coming out of the parking lot the portage is twice as long as normal and another portage required before you get to the lake. The horse had about 6 places where we had to get out of the canoe and lift it over or unload and portage.
Caught a few bass on shore lines near running water. Marked lots of fish at 30 to 45 feet. Caught a couple on weighted lures.
overloaded  
#25 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2021 6:46:46 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Still here!  Going in a couple days

jstone3797  
#26 Posted : Saturday, July 17, 2021 6:53:25 PM(UTC)

Just got back from my first BWCA trip (previous trips were Quetico).  Went out of Scout Base on Moose, entering on July 6 and exiting on July 14.  Went NE up the border to Sanaga, turned south at American Point, through Red Rock Bay, down through Gabimichigami and Little Saganaga to Mesaba and  Wine Lake. Turned west there and went Louse River route to Malberg, then Kawishiwi River to Alice, and back to Moos Lake via Thomas, Ima, Ensign.  Had a group of older scouts and adults and most of us had previous Quetico trips, so they wanted to be challenged and get away from crowds.  We used Alumacrafts and travelled over 140 mile with 65 portages.  It was aa bit of a challenge for me (63 years old) to keep up with the 16-year-olds on portages, but I held my own.  Low water levels were a definite challenge, especially along the Louse River.  We went about 5 days where the only people we saw were to USFS rangers.  Had no rain at all during the trip.  It is very dry and a fire ban is now in place.  Fishing is very poor, probably due to low water levels.  Smoke was visible a few times, but was not a problem.  One advantage of dry weather is less bugs, and blueberries are ripening earlier than usual.  

BillConner  
#27 Posted : Sunday, July 18, 2021 5:34:12 AM(UTC)

Good pace. Sounds wonderful. My first canoeing at all was with a Scout group- not NT - 20 years ago. Sounds like you did not experience the effects the pandemic surge.