Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AmateurHour  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 15, 2021 9:26:51 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)

The Northern Highland American Legion State Forest includes some other smaller places that I've posted about, including the upper Manitowish River, the Northern Highland Fisheries Research Area, and the Rainbow Flowage. I suppose it could even be combined with the Manitowish Wild Resources Area and the Turtle-Flambeau Scenic Waters since they're all connected. But I haven't yet been to the MWRA and I've separately posted about the TFSW, so read on for more NHAL!

If the "Boundary Waters Light" is Sylvania, the NHAL could be "Boundary Waters Ultra Light" or maybe "Boundary Waters Zero." Motorized watercraft are common, and rare are the water-access sites that don't hear at least some road noise. Most shorelines have at least some development. The forest has a fair bit of logging.

But it's a special place that offers opportunity to introduce or to practice the skills needed for somewhere more remote. The portages are shorter and more level even than Sylvania. The various lakes tend to run smaller than the BW, though they still span the spectrum of shallow, boggy, "coffee" lakes, through sandy and sunny, and even a few of the gravel/boulder ones that hurt your feet if you jump in too quickly. The towering white pines are there, only a little less towering and more mixed with red pine and oak. There are picnic tables, fire rings, and good old boxes in the woods. Cell service is good. Loons call at night, though here they root for the Packers. "Some idiot" and his wife like to snorkel right where people want to fish. :)

I highly recommend looking through the WI DNR's online maps. Summers can get pretty crowded and few respect the one night per site rule, so be prepared to put in, paddle over, turn around, and potentially even head to another lake. Trout Lake and Pallette Lake have a handful of sites apiece and might be good to start if you're feeling worried. There are also reservable water-access sites (be aware that they book up quickly) in the Bittersweet Wild Lakes, Clear Lake (the one with the campground), Allequash Lake, Nebish Lake, and Day Lake. And there are plenty of regular campgrounds to try if you're really up against it.

I'd happily continue going on and on and on about the Northern Highland American Legion State Forest, but I now see there's a character limit so I'll quit. :)

thanks 1 user thanked AmateurHour for this useful post.
eagle98mn on 4/27/2021(UTC)
Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 26, 2021 12:44:44 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I see you found the new map! I am almost done with the Route Builder and will get the button and dedicated map page up soon. I am also working on the Flambeau River and Wisconsin River.

Question for you - are your portage photos geotagged? In other words, can I trust the location of your photos to be the actual location of the portages?

Edited by user Monday, April 26, 2021 12:47:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

AmateurHour  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 26, 2021 1:05:00 PM(UTC)

Yep, pounced on it first thing this morning! I truly <3 this site more every day. My photos aren't geotagged, but I'd generally say they're a touch more accurate than the Canoe Route brochure and the Rec & Facility maps. I wouldn't call the differences material and most maintained landings are signed pretty visibly.

The bigger thing that I hadn't previously thought of is that a fair amount of portaging happens on unmaintained trails and logging/fire/snowmobile trails. Maybe for those I (or any of our fine folks) could collect GPS info as we go and send 'em to you as one-offs.

Ben Strege  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 26, 2021 2:29:08 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Any GPS tracks would be welcome - from anyone for any area. Some of the portages in the brochure were difficult to figure out. I thought I would ask since the brochure and your photos can be in very different spots, the Escanaba/Lost Canoe portage being the one that has the biggest difference.

AmateurHour  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 26, 2021 2:48:09 PM(UTC)

Ugh, that one. Probably safe to shift the south end a little west. The portage actually makes a zigzag with the middle piece following the Escanaba Trail westward, maybe 100 yards? I'll admit it's been a few years.

Ballard-Partridge might also be worth an adjustment. It kinda makes a C-shape moving west just behind site 1, northish from there, and then a bunch of east along the northern edge of the logging.