Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Julius Toltesi  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 3, 2022 2:07:22 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Going to be paddling Killarney for the first time. Is anyone else familiar with this park? I'll be doing  3 days in Killarney Provincial Park. Starting at Georges Lake. Night 1 will be at 312-Threenarrows Lake. On day 2 we will canoe to Mary Anne Cove where we will hike the Casson Peak Trail (time permitting). Night 2 will be at 303-McGregor Bay then heading out.

I just signed up for this site. Is the paddle times pretty accurate? 

The calculated times for the trip. Time includes travel time only and not breaks, camp set up, etc. 

Day 1.

George Lake (put in) to camp 1

Total distance 27.1km

Total canoeing 18.5km

Total portaging 8.6km

Total time 7 hours 30 minutes

Day 2

Camp 1 to camp 2, drop off gear, and or set up at camp 2. canoe to hiking spot and back to camp 2

Total distance 33.9km

Total canoeing 26.5km

Total portaging 7.4km

Total time 9 hours 10 minutes

This does not include time to hike.

Day 3

Camp 2 back to George Lake

Total distance 36.2km

Total canoeing 28.6km

Total portaging 7.6km

Total time 9 hours 30 minutes

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 3, 2022 8:28:50 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Of course, I am biased, but I use the times for my own trips. If you customize the speeds to your style, I have found them to be accurate. As you said, though, the times do not include breaks - water breaks, snack breaks, lunch breaks. The times include an amount for unloading and reloading at each portage, but no other down time.

Looking at your plan, I would consider 9 hours to be too much travel time. You will inevitably have breaks here and there. Did you figure lunch in there? Have you ever done a 9-hour day? I have, and afterward I am beat. The next day I cannot do another 9-hour day. Usually I take that day as a layover day. Also, if the weather is against you, that 9 hours can turn into something much longer. You might end up setting up camp in the dark (which I have done - not fun).

The most I ever plan for is 6 hours of travel time. That gives me wiggle room for the weather, breaks, setting up camp, and maybe some relaxing.

I hate to tell you what to do, but I don't know how experienced you are. I am concerned, though, with how much travel time you are planning.

I have not been to Killarney, but it looks beautiful. I love the photos of the bluffs and cliffs, something we don't have much of here. I also know that it is very popular and hard to get permits, although that seems to be everywhere now.

Chris Hoepker  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2022 8:18:04 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Having made four (at least) 4- to 7-day trips in Killarney, my first reaction to the trip plan was to swallow. Of course, now in my late 70’s, I’m no longer the fastest kid on the block and can only look on in amazement when I see young prime examples of fitness almost running with canoe and expedition pack.

Just a couple quips from my experience, however. Unless the lakes are really large like Crooked, Sturgeon, Kawnipi, etc. in Quetico, paddling distances/times are not all that important. As far as portages are concerned, unless they are extremely long like the one from Killarney L.to Three Narrows L. (2923 m), the number thereof is far more important than the lengths thereof. Another factor that comes to mind is that in Killarney, some portages go over a ridge.

Oh something else that may or may not be of interest. The canoes rented in Eastern Ontario come without those wonderful lush upholstered carrying pads. Unless you bring your own, the only thing between the wooden carrying yoke and your shoulder is going to be your tee-shirt.

Killarney’s stunning blue lakes amid wooded ridges studded with white quartz are indeed quite a sight. Enjoy!
Julius Toltesi  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2022 12:41:06 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I would be an intermediate as I paddle around 2-3 times a year (Canoe/kayak)  My friend from the area is organizing it and I found this site while researching. I swallow hard too after putting the details in lol. I sent it to him and he seems not concerned and laughed a bit at my worry lol. We do hike in the ADK and paddle in Algonquin together and he's like the bull that keeps pushing. I think we will be setting up camp in the dark lol. Keep you guys posted lol.

EDIT. I re-did the trip as I noticed I was on "Double portage" lol Switching it to single shaved a bit. :) Took a screenshot but not sure how to upload it. (attach files to this post gives an error.

Day 1.

George Lake (put in) to camp 1

Total distance 20.9km

Total canoeing 17.7km

Total portaging 3.2km

Total time 5 hours 40 minutes

Day 2

Camp 1 to camp 2, drop off gear, and or set up at camp 2. canoe to hiking spot and back to camp 2

Total distance 29 km

Total canoeing 26.5 km

Total portaging 2.5 km

Total time 7 hours 30 minutes

This does not include time to hike.

Day 3

Camp 2 back to George Lake

Total distance 30.7 km

Total canoeing 27.8 km

Total portaging 2.5 km

Total time 7 hours 50 minutes

Edited by user Wednesday, April 6, 2022 1:40:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: updated error