Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ben Strege  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2022 3:56:23 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I added the burned areas to the Quetico map. I added all of the fires since 2005, though most of them are from 2021.

thanks 2 users thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
eagle98mn on 4/15/2022(UTC), pcallies on 4/20/2022(UTC)
Sponsor
eagle98mn  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 15, 2022 2:12:55 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I've been hoping that data might be possible to overlay like the BWCA. That's quite a bit of red...bittersweet for the obvious reasons of "what is good for the forest isn't always what I want to see in my lifetime." Thanks Ben!
Gaidin53  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2022 12:00:07 PM(UTC)

I was glad to see it got added into the map.  Will help with planning.  Challenging part though is knowing the different areas of affect.  Some areas we lightly burned and other areas were much more significantly burn.  No way you can factor that in though.  Just glad you got the outline of fires from last year for planning so thanks for getting it done.  

Ryan

Ben Strege  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2022 2:29:21 PM(UTC)

As you alluded to, it is not a uniform burn area. Some areas were affected more than others. Hard to incorporate that into the maps here. I have seen this graphic making its way around the different paddling forums, and it is helpful:

Quetico Fire Severity 2021

Ben Strege  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2022 1:08:26 AM(UTC)

I figured out a way to overlay the fire severity map on the the Paddle Planner maps. I added a background option called "Quetico Fire Severity 2021." To use it, go to Settings, Map, and select the Quetico Fire Severity 2021 option. You can choose to turn the normal burn area layer on or off. It seems to work fine with the option on, and you can then see the fires from prior years.

It is not perfect. The biggest issue I have right now is not being able to see the portages in the burn area. Another small issue is the shadow of the arrows I had to take out of the original image. Despite these two things, I am happy with how it turned out.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
eagle98mn on 4/26/2022(UTC)