Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ben Strege  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 18, 2022 11:50:18 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I added a bunch of new GPX/KML tools in the advanced menu on the map. The coolest one (in my opinion) is the Convert to Route feature, which takes a GPX/KML file and converts it to a Paddle Planner route. For example, you can download the GPX files from the Friends of the Boundary Waters and convert them to Paddle Planner routes so you can customize your own paddle and portage times.

Here are the menu options:

Load Local File - You can show a GPX/KML file that is stored on your computer. This will display in pink on the map. You can load multiple files if you want by selecting more than one in the file chooser box or pressing this button multiple times. Note: when you share a link to the map (using the Share button), the locally loaded GPX/KML files are not included.

Show/Hide Layers - Show or hide the previously loaded GPX/KML files. This does not remove them from the map; it simply hides them.

Clear Layers - Clear/delete the GPX/KML layers that you loaded. The "start-over" button.

Convert to Route - This is where the true magic is. Paddle Planner will take the last file and feature that you loaded and convert it to a route in Paddle Planner. This is now a standard Paddle Planner route with all of the features - time and distance, campsites, customized paddle and portage times, etc. The GPX file is not converted directly - it is approximated and then displayed in Paddle Planner. Because of this, the routes will not directly overlap, but they should be close enough. You can adjust as necessary after the conversion.

Download Route to GPX - This feature was here previously, but I moved the button to this menu. After creating a Paddle Planner route, you can download a GPX file that you can use in a GPS unit or apps. You have the choice to include surrounding campsites in the file or not. I prefer to download just the route (no campsites) and then use the campsites file on the downloads page instead (https://www.paddleplanner.com/tools/downloads.aspx).

All of these features are included in the map enthusiast membership. Let me know how you like the new features and if anything needs further tweaking. I have to thank NodakJack for the idea. It was a lot of fun making it.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
NodakJack on 7/19/2022(UTC)
Sponsor
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply