Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
todd burkes  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2022 12:50:22 PM(UTC)

Back in 2019, took a trip into southeastern La Croix. Headed back this September to Iron Lake. We didn't use a filtration system then and all was fine. This year, I'm thinking it may be needed due to flooding.

Any suggestions?

Sponsor
AmateurHour  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2022 2:09:47 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I love my Katadyn gravity filter. Very easy to use and keep clean. Just a very good idea to let it dry thoroughly between uses and occasionally run some dilute bleach water through it. Northern WI has a number of very "beavery" waterbodies and I've never had a problem.
Ben Strege  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2022 8:29:00 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I like the Sawyer gravity systems in camp. For on-the-go, I really like the Steripens.

NodakJack  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 18, 2022 7:57:32 AM(UTC)

I’ve been using the miniworks ex microfilter for about 5 years now with no issues or illness. It screws right to the top of my Nalgene bottle which is super handy and MSR also offers a water bladder that the filter can screw too as well. I haven’t had a chance to use it with the bladder yet, but I assume it would take a fair bit of time to fill a water bladder of any size.  

https://www.amazon.com/MSR-MiniWorks-Microfilter-Water-Filter/dp/B000BBF2RY/ref=sr_1_3?crid=17OF9AYEN2LKF&keywords=msr+filter&qid=1658149039&sprefix=msr+filter%2Caps%2C88&sr=8-3

cubsfirefighter  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 6, 2022 4:41:33 PM(UTC)

We really love our MSR Hyperflow. It's light, easy to use and quick. Really love the attachment that will screw onto a nalgene water bottle.
elkninja  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2022 12:25:51 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I use a three-liter Platypus GravityWorks in camp and carry a 1-liter Katadyn BeFree while tripping.
PointMe2Polaris  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2023 8:19:44 PM(UTC)

For the camp site, we use the 4 liter Platypus gravity flow. This is a Godsend compared to what we used 7/8 years ago. For on the go, I have used a Sawyer drink bottle with internal filter as well as the Grayl geopress. I definitely would recommend the Grayl over the Sawyer in this case. Only downside to the Grayl Geopress is the price seems to keep creeping up.
Don P  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 21, 2023 7:52:43 PM(UTC)

In the past I have used he sawer gravity system. Fill it and have ready water when ever it is needed. Really nice for base camping. Presently I travel alone more often than not. So I use a Bee Free filter system. This is good on the go and reasonalblty acceptable in camp. I always bring an extra blader to hold the filtered water.

Mule  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2023 7:30:31 PM(UTC)

I also highly recommend the Platypus GravityWorks Water Filter System 4L. Minimal effort will keep you hydrated the whole trip.
Philip Leflar  
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2023 4:41:12 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Gearskeptic has a great series on water safety on YouTube, particularly if you're nerdy or interested in avoiding water born illnesses. This link is for the video on micro filters, e.g. Sawyers or any of the filters mentioned in this thread: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IJOiCztnXfY

Edit: The entire series is based on backcountry water safety gear and, while long, is very informative and worth watching if you spend much time relying on untreated water sources.

Edited by user Thursday, April 6, 2023 4:56:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Clarification that linked video is part of a series that is generally useful for backcountry trippin

thanks 2 users thanked Philip Leflar for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 4/8/2023(UTC), Mnyoyo on 3/9/2024(UTC)
EC  
#11 Posted : Saturday, April 8, 2023 7:37:44 AM(UTC)

Well there goes three hours of my morning. I completely got sucked into some gear skeptic videos. Awesome to see some actual follow through and an evidence break down on micron size vs bacteria’s and pathogens.