Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PointMe2Polaris  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2023 9:43:29 PM(UTC)

Looking at going into the Brule/Gaskins area with a group of 5 in mid September for a week trip. We've never done this area before but have heard good things. I know numbers are typically down in september, but I am curious how much camp pressure you get in this area during that time of year. Will we have any issues getting a good site/sites? Also, looking at going puting in on Poplar Lake and working our way down to east side of Brule for a 2-3 night base camp stay to do some fishing. I've heard Brule can be a bear of a lake even with moderate winds, but if we stayed to the east side of the lake where all the islands are, can we still expect rough conditions? And finally, is the fishing just as good on all the chain lakes surrounding Brule to were maybe we just skip Brule all together and base camp on a smaller lake? I know... Lot's of questions, but would greatly appreciate any input I can get.

Thanks for reading!
Darin

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2023 12:59:48 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I can talk about Brule. I have not been to Gaskin. 

Yes, Brule can be a bear in the wind, at least on the main part of the lake. The eastern part that you asked about is not as bad. That part was actually recommended to me by a friend, and I took my kids to Brule Bay (the bay by Vernon). Ducking behind all of the islands allowed us to mostly avoid any waves (mostly...).

We had very little luck fishing Brule, but I am not a great fisherman. Fishing Echo Lake was a lot of fun, though. We had zero bites until we got to the very eastern portion. Then it was a fish every cast. Even my youngest, who just had his Rapala in the water next to the canoe, caught some fish. Most were not big, but I remember a bigger SMB or two. I have photos on the map in the location we caught them.

Coming back from Echo, we really wished there was a portage from the eastern part of Echo to Brule Bay. But there isn't. Our campsite was literally 1/4 mile from where we were fishing on Echo, but we had to go all the way back around.

The trip with my kids was over Memorial Day weekend. We had a good experience, so we decided to go back to Brule with another family (with their kids, too). I believe this trip was in August. Trying to find a campsite on Brule was nuts. Every campsite we saw was taken. We were aimlessly paddling around trying to find one, and we weren't the only ones. We saw and talked to several groups in the same predicament. Because of the kids, we had to stay on Brule - we didn't really have a choice. Luckily we found one, but campsites can be at a premium on Brule.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
PointMe2Polaris on 1/20/2023(UTC)