Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TuscaroraBorealis  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 1, 2023 9:10:29 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Who's all here? And, what types of wilderness adventures do you have planned/hope for in 2023?
Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 1, 2023 11:35:42 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Thanks TB for getting the party started! Last year I went on 8 trips, more than I have ever done before in a season. I am guessing it will be a similar number this year. Most will be to the Boundary Waters since it is convenient for me. I hope to get up to the Quetico with my son again this year.

We have done a couple of Boundary Waters trips as a scout troop, but we are looking at doing something different this year. The Apostle Islands and Isle Royale were suggested, so maybe we will go to one of those. I have never been to Isle Royale, and I have not been to the Apostle Islands since I was a scout myself.

No matter where I go, I am looking forward to another great year of paddling!

BillConner  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2023 6:09:34 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I'm here everyday. No specific plans yet but hope to do a long backpack trip and explore more close to home day paddling.
MagicPaddler  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2023 8:11:07 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I have 3 Q trips planned for 2023 and maybe a border rout trip.
AmateurHour  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2023 8:19:19 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Present! Quetico for sure this year, plus the usual weekend trips in northern WI. But we might also do some paddling in Belize next winter!
bharrop  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2023 6:50:37 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I got my permits for a trip in May Barron Canyon with my daughter looking forward to this chance to reconnect Have not seen her very much sine we have 2300 kms between us the rest of he year is just short 2 nights out north eastern Manitoba
GHamer  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2023 9:18:30 AM(UTC)

Here. After a record (for me) 4 trips last year, I hope to do a similar number this year. No firm plans yet, though.
Don P  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 21, 2023 7:55:15 PM(UTC)

I have plans for three trips this year. Two solos nd a group trip. 

Canoe Guru  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2023 8:41:02 AM(UTC)

Happy 2023! We're planning on taking 5 trips to the BWCA this year.
May - Crocodile River Basecamp
June - Snowbank Lake (Basecamp on some lake nearby)
July - East Bearskin Lake (Bascamp near Johnson Falls)
August - Wood Lake to Seagull Lake 50 mile one way journey
September - Little Indian Sioux River North 60 mile Loop
We're moving to Hayward, WI in 2025 to get closer to the Northwoods and the BWCA : )
Cheers all! Dane, Mandy, & Eva
BillConner  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2023 6:26:17 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Exciting move! May it go smoothly and congrats.
thanks 1 user thanked BillConner for this useful post.
Canoe Guru on 1/25/2023(UTC)
UPBoy  
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2023 10:09:43 AM(UTC)

Hello folks, UPBoy here.

I haven't spent much time on this board. Mostly use PP for trip planning and routing. I made three trips last year. The first was over Memorial Day weekend with the Grandkids to Wood Lake. The second was a unique adventure with seven fellow veterans that was sponsored by the Bong Veterans Center in Superior, Wisconsin. They do this every year and it is a no-cost fully outfitted trip. None of us had ever met before but by the time we pulled out, we were great friends. We spent 5 nights on Isabella Lake fishing, telling jokes and stories, and playing cards. 

The last trip was a family trip with three of my sons. We put in at Little Indian Sioux and worked our way up to Taucmich Lake for a few days then back again.

Only one trip planned so far this year and we will be putting in at the South Kawishiwi River entry and exploring from there. Maybe the Kawiwishwi Triangle or maybe a Gabbro loop. I'm looking for more trips but lack trip partners now that my boys have families of their own and are busy. Does anyone out there need a trip partner?

Brad  
#12 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2023 12:05:08 AM(UTC)

Hello everyone,

I always take a fall trip and every other year I go with the Local Boy Scout troop. So far we have the trip scheduled for 4 Boy Scout crews in July and I have a permit for Entry point #14 Indian Sioux North in September.

Safe paddling!
elkninja  
#13 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2023 10:34:58 PM(UTC)

Checking in late but excited to go tripping again!  Went on five trips last year and hope to do the same again this year.  Three solos, one trip with my two daughters who will be home from college, and one trip with my youngest two daughters.  Planning my first October trip which is fun to consider the options without worrying about permits.

Jackfish  
#14 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2023 8:54:20 AM(UTC)

I'm here.  Having discussions of another trip to Q this year with my buddies.  Hoping to solidify a date and destination sometime soon.

Philip Leflar  
#15 Posted : Thursday, April 27, 2023 3:49:07 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Quite late to the show but making my first of, hopefully, many trips to the BWCA and points north this year. Heading out from Snowbank the first week of June on a loop through Alice, Fishdance, Boulder and back through Fraser.
OhPaddler  
#16 Posted : Thursday, April 27, 2023 3:53:22 PM(UTC)

Planning a trip from Moose/Portage River North to Fall Lake.  We have not been to the western BWCA - so looking forward to a little change.

TMcG  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2023 12:37:11 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I'm here memorizing everything for a Carp lake entry to the Man Chain in mid August. I have about five routes figured out so we'll see how it begins and adapt from then. Thinking of beelining up to Blackstone for some big pike. Anyone have any Ideas or suggestions in for fish/sightseeing in that area?
My cousin and I plan an annual trip for 10 days as we can only meet up once a year coming from each coast. Last year we did a 10 day Mudro, Bertrap river, Iron, Crooked, LBF, and up Horse, back to Fourtown loop. It was awesome but kicked my butt a little. There were three of us and I was in the solo the whole time.
Otherwise I'm thinking New Speicer Meadows reservoir in the Sierra Navada Carson-Iceberg wildness for a weekend. Half the lake is in a wilderness no motor zone.
Or up north the Trinity lake for boat in camping
Jerepitman  
#18 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2023 9:03:36 AM(UTC)

Hello, first post on this forum. Late to the game but I’m planning my third trip to Q this summer. July 6th fly in to Clay, 13 days with a Beaverhouse exit. Leading a group of 6 thirty something’s (2 are my sons) with a focus on fishing. Trying to include Kawnipi, Cutty, Sturgeon, Burntside and Quetico.
Julius Toltesi  
#19 Posted : Friday, May 19, 2023 10:23:37 AM(UTC)

My first "booked" trip is Aug 5th in Algonquin. The plan is to launch at #17 Shall Lake and paddle for 3-5 hours to camp 234 - Raja. We plan on getting there at open so it will be more of a relaxing photography trip. Going to go down Mcarthy Creek in hopes to see a moose for the first time. I recently ordered a new canoe so I definitely will book more trips this year. I moved to Quebec and wished the info on canoe routes was easier to find and or understand like it is in Algonquin. Need to work harder on learning French lol.

Ben Strege  
#20 Posted : Friday, May 19, 2023 11:59:12 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Julius Toltesi Go to Quoted Post
I moved to Quebec and wished the info on canoe routes was easier to find and or understand like it is in Algonquin.

This is a good Facebook group for La Verendrye - https://www.facebook.com/groups/275610983503888. The creator has a good Google map of the area. I have looked at adding La Verendrye to Paddle Planner.

thanks 2 users thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
Julius Toltesi on 5/19/2023(UTC), AmateurHour on 5/20/2023(UTC)
Julius Toltesi  
#21 Posted : Friday, May 19, 2023 12:23:34 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Ben Strege Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: Julius Toltesi Go to Quoted Post
I moved to Quebec and wished the info on canoe routes was easier to find and or understand like it is in Algonquin.

This is a good Facebook group for La Verendrye - https://www.facebook.com/groups/275610983503888. The creator has a good Google map of the area. I have looked at adding La Verendrye to Paddle Planner.

Ahh, thanks. I'll look into that. It's a bit further from my place ( I should have said Montreal QC ) But still options. I also heard Bon Echo is nice for canoe camping but it's just Joe Perry Lake.

Julius Toltesi  
#22 Posted : Friday, May 19, 2023 12:27:49 PM(UTC)

Also found this place that seems to be like the Barron Canyon. From google translate, there seems to be canoe camping but it might be a cabin lol. Have to spend some more time on it and call them.

https://www.sepaq.com/pq/hgo/information.dot

thanks 1 user thanked Julius Toltesi for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 5/19/2023(UTC)