Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gavia  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2014 2:26:41 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)

I've created several trip reports but only one of them is up.  The others apparently don't exist.  Wassup, man?  Can this be fixed?

Sponsor
Gavia  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2014 2:37:52 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Originally Posted by: Gavia Go to Quoted Post

I've created several trip reports but only one of them is up.  The others apparently don't exist.  Wassup, man?  Can this be fixed?

I actually had to fix the one that works now. The problem is that you didn't write anything in the actual trip report, just in the description. You need to write something so it creates a page. So instead of saying where to get your report in the description, put it in the trip report. I fixed them for you. In the future, when writing or linking a report, just make sure to write something in the report, not just the description.

Gavia  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2014 2:39:49 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

By the way, this is something I'll work on - perhaps making it so if nothing is written in the report, copying the description to it.

Gavia  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2014 3:20:46 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Thanks, Ben! When you started this, did you have any idea how complicated it would be?
Gavia  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2014 3:26:32 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

One other thing you might change: The trip description doesn't appear in the report itself. Please either include it there or delete it from the summary page.
Thanks!
Ben Strege  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2014 5:47:09 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

It has definitely gotten more complicated the more popular the site gets. When I first started, I didn't have to worry too much about how efficient the site was. Now I'm having to go back and redo some things because loading times are too long. For example, I had to redo the photo albums when I noticed that it took way too long to load the page.

The trip report description is similar. It served a pupose for me when I was the only person writing trip reports. The short description actually is used in a meta tag on the page - we can't see it, but search engines can. I will take the short description out and just use a generic description for the meta tag.

Gavia  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2014 5:52:24 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

What you might do with the trip reports is put the description box on the report page as a summary or overview. That way both the author and reader can see them both at the same time.

If nothing else, you're building great skills. Take it from me - there IS life after budget work (or accounting, or law, or ...).
Ben Strege  
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2014 6:07:50 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

If nothing else, you're building great skills. Take it from me - there IS life after budget work (or accounting, or law, or ...).

I'm glad to know there is life after taxes!

Gavia  
#9 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2014 6:19:25 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I'm here to tell you there's also life after bureaucracy (referring to 30 years working for the State of Wisconsin). Work hard now, retire as early as possible.
Gavia  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 8, 2014 12:47:13 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I have the same problem again. I posted a trip report, and I believe I put something in both the description and the report parts. I click on the report title and I get this response:

"This trip report does not exist. Please check the reportnum (48) found in the URL. If it is correct, the trip report may have been deleted."

I don't know what it means to "check the reportnum" other than to see that the URL does indicate 48. It doesn't mean anything to me and since I can't open the report I can't do anything with it.

Help!
Ben Strege  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 8, 2014 8:08:31 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

There wasn't anything in the report again - if you put something there, it didn't save. (I'll have to look into that.) I fixed the report, so it should come up now.

Gavia  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, July 8, 2014 11:39:40 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Thanks, Ben. I thought I put in the report section a statement about finding the full report on my website, along with the link. Guess not. Anyway, thanks for fixing it.
Gavia  
#13 Posted : Thursday, October 2, 2014 11:31:21 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Another "report does not exist" error. I'd like to delete 65 and keep 66. Help?
Ben Strege  
#14 Posted : Friday, October 3, 2014 10:38:01 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Another "report does not exist" error. I'd like to delete 65 and keep 66. Help?

I fixed it. I noticed you had it set on "direct link" - I'm guessing you thought this would link to your website. What it is for is so the trip report doesn't show up on the lists on the website, but you can send the link to someone else (like an email) so they can view it. This is probably not what you had in mind. I was planning on taking this option out since it isn't used.

I promise I'll fix all of these problems soonsmiley

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
Gavia on 10/3/2014(UTC)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply