Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
brokepaddler  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 8, 2015 10:05:57 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I will be setting up a couple BWCA trips with friends and family this year. I also have a Red Lake River beginning to end trip planned with a friend along with a Mississippi river run set up with a couple friends. The more time on the water the better.

Sponsor
Gavia  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 8, 2015 11:54:01 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)
How long is the Red Lake River - in miles and days?

I'm looking at my annual pair of BWCA trips, one in May and the other in September. Could be solo, could be tandem.
There's also the Wisconsin Canoe Symposium, June 19-21, which is only 80-some miles away.
And of course the usual local river paddling.
What I'll be paddling: For solo tripping, a Hemlock Peregrine; for tandem, a Bell Northstar or a Wenonah Sundowner 18. For rivers, a Blackhawk Ariel or Bell Wildfire.
brokepaddler  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 8, 2015 3:01:37 PM(UTC)

The Red Lake River runs just over 200 miles. It starts at Red Lake and runs into the Red River. 

We're thinking it will take us five days to paddle, should be a fun one. I like your pick of canoes, I have a 

1992 Grumman 17 and a Bell Wildfire.

Gavia  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 8, 2015 4:28:13 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Wow ... 40 miles a day seems like a pretty good pace. Have a good trip!
Ben Strege  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 8, 2015 4:48:04 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Guess you are coming our way! My wife and I practice our paddling on the Red Lake River in Grand Forks (training for some canoe races). Our scout troop has camped at Sportsman's Park in Red Lake Falls a few times, too. 40 miles a day on the Red Lake River should be doable as long as it is early in the season. There is usually a pretty good flow. Later in the summer, though, the water can get low in spots.

As for my plans, I have three trips in the works:

• Memorial Day trip with my wife and 5-year-old son to EP 32 Little Gabbro. Hoping to stay on Bald Eagle, but don't really have a set destination in mind
  • "Guys Trip" to EP 14 Little Indian Sioux North and staying somewhere around Shell Lake
  • Taking my boss, his son, and his son-in-law to the Quetico. Entering at Pickerel Lake

Those are all my definite plans. I also want to take a trip to Woodland Caribou with my wife and dad. Been trying to do that for years, but it hasn't seemed to work out yet. I'll also probably take a Labor Day trip, but I don't know with whom or where. I usually go with my wife, but she probably won't be able to make it this year. Either I'll find a different partner or try my first solo trip.

TuscaroraBorealis  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 8, 2015 6:08:39 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)
We're looking at doing the White Cliffs area in Montana (Missouri River.) Of course 2-3 BWCA trips as well. Currently looking at Sea Gull, East Bearskin & Kawishiwi EP's.
brokepaddler  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 15, 2015 7:52:08 AM(UTC)

Yes bstrege, the RLR trip will be early but the Mississippi will be earlier. I have been watching the RLR for a couple years now. I live by McIntosh Mn. so the river is right close. By the way I think what you have done here with making this site is wonderful! Thank you.
halvorson.christopher  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2015 11:29:36 PM(UTC)

Goodluck with that Red Lake River trip! sounds like a solid adventure.

I currently have 3 trips planned, and hope to go on 2 additional unplanned weekend trips with the wife!
June: Crooked Lake
August: Ogish
Late September: Unknown Lake TDB

I hope to take short weekend trips to Crocodile Lake & Pine Lake
jcavenagh  
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 21, 2015 1:41:34 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am waiting to hear if my buddy is getting us in on a Colorado or Snake River white water trip in June. If not, I'm going to do my first solo in BW or maybe Wabakimi area.
brokepaddler  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2015 4:46:25 PM(UTC)

Low water levels are making the Red Lake River awfully slow right now.
Yikes!
Ben Strege  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2015 5:08:31 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Originally Posted by: brokepaddler Go to Quoted Post
Low water levels are making the Red Lake River awfully slow right now.
Yikes!

Sure haven't heard anything about flooding this year smiley Fargo doesn't even get their annual sandbagging holiday.

The trip our scout troop took down the RLR a few years ago turned a lot of them off of canoeing. They spent pretty much the entire day dragging the canoes over rocks. It took them much longer than they had anticipated - they didn't get to camp until 9:00 or 10:00. I couldn't do the canoe trip with them, but I was waiting at Sportsman's Park for them and wondering what had happened. Low water is definitely a game changer.

overloaded  
#12 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2015 7:20:58 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
East bearskin in July.

2nd trip is still up in the air yet
Canoer97  
#13 Posted : Saturday, April 11, 2015 4:24:19 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Campsite #1551 on Basswood Lake in September.
jcavenagh  
#14 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2015 3:44:32 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Thinking of doing my first solo: BWCA EP 14 on Aug. 8; up the river to Slim, then loop around through Funger into Gebe and back out...still playing with maps.

AlfalfaMale  
#15 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2015 11:28:50 AM(UTC)

Mid May my oldest son and I will go in at EP #47 - Lizz & Swamp Lakes for 6 days. Want to spend some time on Gaskin, Horseshoe, Omega, maybe Winchell and Vista. No hard plan, we'll take it as it comes.