Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Canoer97  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 3, 2014 8:58:05 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I need some imput on traveling in a PMA (Hairy Lake Sec. 2). A buddy of mine is talking about doing a PMA trip next years. There is not much on the net about them. Help Please.
Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 3, 2014 9:50:32 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I'll tell you what I told ruddy - 

A PMA is a "primitive management area." The portages and campsites are not maintained. On the map, I left the portages and campsites that were marked, but these are all probably old and somewhat overgrown.

Only one group is allowed to camp in a PMA zone at one time. You can get the permit by calling the respective ranger station. The permit is free, but you must have one to camp there. (You may still take day trips without a permit.) 

PMAs are also subject to more regulations. Basically, what is boils down to is actually following "Leave No Trace" (not the semi-LNT that is practiced in the rest of the BWCA). Here is a good article explaining more in-depth what they are - http://www.examiner.com/article/primitive-management-areas-the-boundary-waters-canoe-area-wilderness.

Some PMAs are more traveled than others. For example, Sunday and Raven are two lakes I often hear about. Others are much more remote, such as Pagami Lake (you'll have to ask Randy.Pfeifer about that one). Hairy Lake PMA is one I have not heard much about.