Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BillConner  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 5, 2015 1:15:43 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)

Perhaps I just need to find teh key but what are the green triangles ans what are the blue dots with "+" in them?

Thanks.

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 5, 2015 1:40:59 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Not your fault - I haven't put them in the key. I am planning on adding a button for map and area notes (each area has its own quirks), but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Short answer:

Green triangles are day use areas
Blue dots are house boat anchorages

Explanation:

When I got the campsite data, I noticed that it had a lot of campsites but then realized not all of them were "traditional" campsites. Adding a campsite "type" in my system is a really long process. In order to not have to add a new type (and hence a new entry in the legend), I just made the icon different. The functionality isn't as comprehensive as a new campsite type, but it involved a lot less work and let me get it up sooner.

I am still trying to fix up some of the campsite data. I don't think the data I had was completely up to date - I think there are a few campsites I am missing. I am also working on getting the official campsite numbers/designations put in. I have some of them entered, but not all yet.

BillConner  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 5, 2015 2:01:31 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)

Thanks!  Never a dull moment.  I assume the other campsites - pink dots I think - are normal ones.

Keep trying to plot a Lake of the Woods to Grand Portage trip.  Camping between IF and LOW is the tricky part but think I have found campgrounds every 25 or so miles. Zipple Bay STate Park, Baudette -Timber Mills Park, Franz Jevne State Park, Smokey Bear State Forest (?), and then somewhere in IF or FF before entering Voyaguers.  Have not studied CA side of river but seems with an RABC and an I-68 card with sat phone, I could hop back and forth at least until BWCAW/Quetico.  And Quetico is easy.

Someday.

Ben Strege  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 5, 2015 3:44:29 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Yes, the pink dots are normal tenting campsites. (They turn red after they have been reviewed.) 

Voyageurs National Park has photos of all of the campsites - http://www.nps.gov/voya/learn/photosmultimedia/campsites.htm

I'll be incorporating the photos and descriptions into this website at some point. Going through VNP campsite list is how I found out I don't have all of the campsites (I think) or have some mislabeled as anchorages and should be campsites. I got my original campsite data from the VNP site - the KML file on http://www.nps.gov/voya/planyourvisit/maps.htm. Apparently the data in the KML file doesn't reconcile with the campsite photos. I'll have to cross-check it against the GPX file they have on the site as well - http://www.nps.gov/voya/planyourvisit/gps-waypoints.htm.

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply