Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BillConner  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 2, 2015 7:09:40 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)

Where would you take them in the BWCAW? And, maybe more general, would you go somewhere you've been or go someplace all new?

Edited by moderator Thursday, March 5, 2015 5:05:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 2, 2015 8:45:03 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

It depends on a few factors for me:

• Would this be their only chance to go? If it is once in a lifetime for them, I carefully pick where I'm taking them, which usually means an area I'm already familiar with.
  • Are they up for a little "adventure"? If they are "go-with-the-flow" types, I would be more apt to take them somewhere I also haven't gone.
  • If I can find a lot of info on an area I haven't been to, I consider it because I have more of an idea of what to expect.

A couple of examples -

Last year I took my scout troop. They hadn't gone to the BWCA before. For some of them it will be the only time they go. I took them from Moose Lake to Lake One. I hadn't been on most of that loop, but I felt comfortable because there is so much info available on that area. 

This year I am taking a group of guys who may never be able to go again. They will "go-with-the-flow" and don't care where we go as long as we go. I considered a lot of areas but finally settled on one that I had been to a few years ago. It was a good compromise for me since I know it will be a good area for them but I will also get to explore a bit since I didn't do much exploring the last time I was there.

The point is my number one priority is providing them with a good experience. If I think I can do that with a new area, that is a bonus for me. If I have doubts, I take them somewhere I'm familiar with.

As for where specifically to take a group of first-timers, that, of course, entirely depends on the group again. I've provided lots of advice to various first-timers, and each time I recommend different areas. There is no "one-size-fits-all" - other than everybody needs to visit the BWCA/Quetico sometime in their life smiley

Canoer97  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2015 5:14:46 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Ben, you mentioned Moose Lake to Lake One. How did you do that. I see no clear way or short way to do that as a loop. Just wondering.
Ben Strege  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2015 10:43:37 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Canoer97 Go to Quoted Post
Ben, you mentioned Moose Lake to Lake One. How did you do that. I see no clear way or short way to do that as a loop. Just wondering.

We did it over six days with a layover day on Alice - Moose Lake to Lake One

We actually had two groups. The other group went from Lake One to Moose Lake via Ima and Jordan. They also had a layover day on Alice. Their paddling days were shorter - Lake One to Moose Lake

We had a shuttle from Moose Lake to Lake One and vice versa from LaTourell's.

TuscaroraBorealis  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 4, 2015 7:03:06 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)
East Bearskin EP#64.

Head for Canoe Lake area.

Very easy portages, outstanding scenery, many above average campsites on Canoe & surrounding lakes, good multiple species fishing (including trout), there's an old cabin/mine to explore on Spaulding Lake, and Johnson Falls provides the ultimate day trip option.
Canoer97  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2015 4:41:45 PM(UTC)

I will have to keep this route in the back of my mind for future use. Thanks for the info.
Canoer97  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2015 4:50:12 PM(UTC)

Referring to post #5. I have been looking at that area for trip for the last couple of years. This sounds interesting.
BillConner  
#8 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2015 7:04:32 AM(UTC)

Decided - at least for now - Mudro entry. I've been north of there in the Q but first time for me as well the first timers.

Two couples - need to find sites with somewhat - or very - remote tent pads.Wub
Ben Strege  
#9 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2015 7:40:42 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: BillConner Go to Quoted Post
Decided - at least for now - Mudro entry. I've been north of there in the Q but first time for me as well the first timers.
Two couples - need to find sites with somewhat - or very - remote tent pads.Wub

We took some first-timers to the Mudro entry point. We were also two couples. We ended up on Moosecamp Lake at the campsite just west of the portage. I remember thinking that the two tents were way too close together... Great lake, but I'd pick a different campsite for your trip. 

BillConner  
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 26, 2015 4:42:28 PM(UTC)

Acoustic privacy can be an issue in this circumstance, nature being the aphrodisiac that it is.
TuscaroraBorealis  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2015 6:29:15 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Originally Posted by: BillConner Go to Quoted Post
Acoustic privacy can be an issue in this circumstance, nature being the aphrodisiac that it is.

LOL

AmateurHour  
#12 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2015 10:20:01 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)

I took my girlfriend for her first trip last year, and it was also my first in a number of years. We'd taken a few test trips in northern Wisconsin beforehand, and in the BWCA we pretty much stuck to Sag and Ottertrack where I have a decent degree of familiarity. It was overcast/rainy most of the time, but we didn't overextend ourselves and we caught tons of fish. She had a blast and has been talking all summer about going back up this September.

After we talked about what made it a success, here are the big takeaways:

• Depending on the level of experience, take one or a few test trips somewhere less remote before buying that BWCA permit.
  • Set good expectations. Even easy trips can contain a lot more work than some folks' ideas of camping can include. Don't overreach.
  • It's not a bad idea to go somewhere with a little more traffic. You can get more remote as skills and comfort increase.
  • Consider base camping. You can always decide to move around if the confidence/competence is there; otherwise it's still a nice, relaxing trip.
  • Maintain perspective and a cheery attitude, even when something goes a little sideways (like four days of rain). It goes a long way toward making it a good time.
thanks 2 users thanked AmateurHour for this useful post.
Canoer97 on 6/29/2015(UTC), Ben Strege on 7/4/2015(UTC)