Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sagejon  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2015 7:50:39 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I think it might be helpful for the community (or admin/s) to develop a guide for writing reviews of campsites, lakes, and portages. I've written a couple of reviews at this point, mostly basing them on other reviews I've seen, but it would be nice to have a standard guide. What constitutes a 1 star campsite? What makes a campsite worthy of 5 stars? What are some examples of those campsites? What constitutes an average (3 star) campsite? What are the important things that need to be included in a review? How can we encourage objective reviews vs subjective?

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2015 9:39:01 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

It is a good idea and has been suggested to me a couple of times. I haven't done it yet for a couple of reasons (which I'll get to later). Perhaps everyone can chime in and help develop this. 

To start us off, I'll post what Joe_Schmeaux told me he uses as a guide. He rates Quetico campsites, so this would have to be modified for the BWCA and other areas with designated campsites:

• 1 star: Has a reasonable takeout and a flat spot for at least one tent. Might not have an intact fire ring. Usable in an emergency.
  • 2 star: An ok site. Good enough for an overnight stop (if you're not too picky), but most people probably wouldn't want to base camp here.
  • 3 star: A good site, suitable for a base camp. Has a good takeout, probably a decent fire ring or fireplace, at least one flat, level, sheltered tent spot not adjacent to the firepit, and enough room to walk around a bit. Probably has at least one bench for sitting and a big flat rock for a stove or food preparation. The site also probably has a reasonably good view.
  • 4 and 5 star: Has all the features of a 3 star site (including the optional ones) and usually also has some added exceptional feature or features. Usually there is a choice of at least one sheltered tent spot and one open breezy spot.
  • If a site is on an island too small for a latrine, I usually downgrade it by one star.
  • Some people might give zero stars to some of my one-star sites (I have pretty low standards for that rating). Some people seem to give extra stars for big sites, so frequently I give 3 stars to someone else's 5 star site (I do not upgrade a site for extra size beyond a reasonable minimum, and even prefer it if a site isn't too big, like for some overused locations where every piece of deadfall and forest litter has been picked clean from a huge area and a site looks like it should be closed for rehabilitation).

Personally, when I'm grading campsites, I go mostly by feel rather than a checklist. I've done enough ratings now that I am pretty consistent with my own. I sometimes check to make sure I have a Bell curve to my campsite ratings - I want most of my sites to be 3-star with very few 5-star and 1-star sites. I'm also "regionalized" with my ratings. By this I mean I might rate campsites differently based on the lake they are located on. An "average" campsite on a large lake might be a 4-star on a smaller lake where you usually wouldn't find good campsites. Unlike Joe_Schmeaux, I tend to rate large campsites higher. I have my biases. Since I am not a big fisherman (I enjoy it, but it isn't something I focus on), I usually don't mention fishing at all in my ratings or have it affect my rating at all. Other peole rate campsites higher if there is good fishing from camp.

All of this being said, I usually don't pay too much attention to the campsite rating if it is anywhere from 2-stars to 4-stars. I read the comments and look at the photos. I find those much more valuable than any star rating. Everyone has different things that are important to them. I tend to trust 1-star and 5-star ratings more. In my mind, I interpret that as "bad site" or "good site."

Maybe we can also expand on the rating system. I thought about this for a while. It would be a pretty big undertaking gathering all of the data, but in the end it would be valuable. I envision rating/commenting/marking campsites that have specific features. After all, what is important to one person might not be for another. Some things I've thought of:

• Takeout - difficuly
  • Size - already have number of tent pads, but maybe include something general like "open" or "compact" with regards to the space/feel
  • Fishing - poor, average, excellent fishing from the campsite
  • Beach/swimming area - mark if it is sand, fine gravel, rocky, mucky, etc.

That's all the time I have to write now. Any other categories? What does everyone think of expanding the system? I can think of a bunch of cool things I could do with the data and the maps, but there would also be objections to gathering this kind of detailed campsite data.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
sagejon on 4/14/2015(UTC)
MagicPaddler  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2015 2:24:58 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)

Good sized tree 15 to18 feet apart with open area between for Hammock. Referred to as hammock pads.

Edited by user Wednesday, April 15, 2015 6:17:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Canoer97  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2015 6:14:41 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)

You might want to check some of the campsite evaluations that are found in the Boundary Waters Journal magazine. The evaluations are not in every issue but I have found them to be helpful.  If you like to read stories/articles about the BWCAW, you will like the Boundary Waters Journal.  I have been an avid reader for years.

Ben Strege  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2015 6:37:44 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Originally Posted by: Canoer97 Go to Quoted Post
You might want to check some of the campsite evaluations that are found in the Boundary Waters Journal magazine. The evaluations are not in every issue but I have found them to be helpful.  If you like to read stories/articles about the BWCAW, you will like the Boundary Waters Journal.  I have been an avid reader for years.

I subscribe, too, and enjoy reading it. My wife reads every issue cover to cover. As far as campsite evaluations, they are pretty thorough, but I've noticed that it usually doesn't have photos of the campsite, which I find extremely helpful. Lately it seems they have been focusing a lot on the BWCA campsites rather than the Quetico, too - probably because there are ten times as many people visiting the BWCA than the Quetico.

As much as I like the BWJ, the campsite ratings aren't "searchable." Star-ratings are only marginally useful mostly because the standards are subjective. This is what sagejon was trying to fix - trying to make the ratings more objective. I added onto the idea by being able to mark the specific features of a campsite. What I want to know is how you would complete this sentence - "I am looking for the campsites that _________________." How would you fill in the blank?

Gavia  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2015 12:01:24 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)

Another good source of campsite reviews is BWCA.com.

I'd like to offer a little different rating sequence from Ben's:

1 star (or F):  Marked on the map but not usable.  May have a lunar landscape, no level tent pad, small, cramped, etc.  Better take your chances with a spike camp.

2 stars (or D):  Usable in an emergency.  No level tent pad but not bad enough to keep me awake all night.  

3 stars (or C):  At least one level tent pad, workable landing, no serious flaws but nothing to write home about.  Barely suitable for a layover day.

4 stars (or B):  Good tent pad(s), nice view, good landing(s), roomy enough for 1-2 layover days, pleasant ambiance.

5 stars (or A):  The Hilton.  Everything a 4-star site has, only better.  Could include an open pine forest, a beach, valet service ....

Edited by moderator Saturday, April 18, 2015 5:39:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Gavia for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 4/21/2015(UTC)
Canoer97  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2015 7:25:04 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Post #6 sounds great.
sagejon  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2015 10:21:25 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Great replies, thank you! I am also blessed (cursed?) to have a web developer for a wife, which has made me know just enough to be dangerous about what can be done on a site. My thinking was having a good set of standards and forcing people to see them when they are reviewing a campsite. Mouseover on each star with a brief outline for that star level. Or a reminder somewhere with a link to a reviewing standards page. A blurb on a "preview your review" page? Something that serves as a reminder of the goals of the review.

Ben Strege  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2015 11:51:39 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Originally Posted by: sagejon Go to Quoted Post

Great replies, thank you! I am also blessed (cursed?) to have a web developer for a wife, which has made me know just enough to be dangerous about what can be done on a site. My thinking was having a good set of standards and forcing people to see them when they are reviewing a campsite. Mouseover on each star with a brief outline for that star level. Or a reminder somewhere with a link to a reviewing standards page. A blurb on a "preview your review" page? Something that serves as a reminder of the goals of the review.

Any of those suggestions would be possible and fairly easy to do. Once we set up some sort of standard, I'll add something in, probably a combination of what you suggested. 

I like Gavia's rating system for the BWCA and anywhere else with designated campsites. It is simple and easy to remember. I would want to make some changes to the wording - when I have a few minutes I'll work on that and post it here for comments.

For the Quetico or other places without designated campsites, how would you change Joe_Schmeaux's rating system? Any suggestions for improvement/simplification?

Just to let you know, right now there is no such thing as a "zero-star" rating on this site, and I probably won't add one, so we'll have to keep that in mind. If a campsite doesn't exist or is closed, I can change the status, but it has nothing to do with the rating system. The preferred method to say that a campsite doesn't exist is to send me an email and leave a rating comment but not give it a star rating.

BillConner  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2015 6:33:16 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
#6 seems a little bottom end heavy. If the site is recorded but not there or not use able - no stars. 1 star is a last chance better than nothing.

While I have moved to adventuring and spontaneity, not planning routes or sites in advance, the primary criteria for campsites for me is tent pads and bugs. I can care less about landings - never has been a problem at any site or portage - and views are subjective. I rarely have a fire, so thats lower priority. But no breeze or air to move bugs along, marshy swampy,surroundings to harbor bugs, and no very level place for a tent are all reasons for me to look for another. Very important is date of review - at site, not posting.
Gavia  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2015 12:04:17 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Originally Posted by: BillConner Go to Quoted Post
#6 seems a little bottom end heavy. If the site is recorded but not there or not use able - no stars. 1 star is a last chance better than nothing.

While I have moved to adventuring and spontaneity, not planning routes or sites in advance, the primary criteria for campsites for me is tent pads and bugs. I can care less about landings - never has been a problem at any site or portage - and views are subjective. I rarely have a fire, so thats lower priority. But no breeze or air to move bugs along, marshy swampy,surroundings to harbor bugs, and no very level place for a tent are all reasons for me to look for another. Very important is date of review - at site, not posting.

I stick with the 1-star rating because zero stars implies it isn't a campsite.  If nothing else, one star indicates (in the BWCA) you won't get ticketed for camping there.  It's like getting an F on an exam instead of no grade at all.

As for bugs, I would downgrade a site if it were set back or otherwise so secluded that a breeze would have a hard time getting in.  Conversely, I'd also downgrade a site that didn't have sheltering options.  No trees can be as bad as too many.

As for landings, I downgrade a site if I can't land without damaging the boat.  I upgrade it if it has a great landing, such as site 12 on Ogishkemuncie Lake.  (That's campsite 792 in the BWCA Map area.  The pics below are from my site evaluation.)

The landing.  The canoe driveway and garage are on the left.

Ogish site 12 (#0762) approach

The canoe in its garage.  The driveway is hard to see, but it's actually a little sheltered channel of about a boat length.

Ogish site 12 (#0762) parking lot

BillConner  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2015 12:24:20 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Just seems like there are more grades of camp sites between just OK - the proposed 3 star - and the Hilton - the proposed 5 star.

I suggested no stars for your one because it was not useable as a site - same as no site.  Are there unuseable sites in the BWCA?  Seems like every site that the rangers amintain a latrine on is probably OK for an emergency.  The no site or so overgrown site is a more common Q phenomenom. Besides, the old PCD listed the non existent sites as no stars.

Not useable - no stars

Emergency use only - one star

At least one good tent pad and simply OK - two stars

At least two good tent pads, nice fire ring, not over used, acceptable landing, decent cover/trees - average -  three stars 

All of three stars plus several exceptional above average features - four stars

All exeptional features - pads, landing, fire ring, views - plus something like sandy beach, near by water falls, that great table on Williams in the Q, that fantastic stone furniture like teh one in Snow Bay, fantastic view from thunderbox, etc - five star

thanks 2 users thanked BillConner for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 4/21/2015(UTC), Canoer97 on 4/21/2015(UTC)
Ben Strege  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2015 12:56:30 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Here is my first try at combining what has been said into a rating scale:

• Not a campsite - Do not give a star rating. Leave a comment and send an email to the administrator so the status can be updated. For BWCA or any other area that has a designated campsite system, if there is a fire grate and a latrine, it is a campsite and must be given at least a 1-star rating.
  • 1-star - Last choice but usable in an emergency. Some features of this type of campsite might be: small, cramped, overgrown, swampy, lumpy tent pads, impossible landing. A 1-star site will probably have more than one of these undesireable features.
  • 2-star - OK for a night but don't want to stay more than one day. The tent pads might not be completely level, have a difficult landing, or be on the smallish side. While a 1-star will have multiple undesireable qualities, a 2-star will have one or two qualities that make it a "below average" site.
  • 3-star - Average site, willing to layover or basecamp but nothing to "write home about." This type of site will have both good and bad features. Perhaps it is small but has a nice landing, or the tent pads aren't level but has an awesome view.
  • 4-star - Has all of the good basic features of a campsite. While 3-star sites might have some bad features mixed in with the good, a 4-star would not have any of those bad features. Basic features would include level tent pads, a good landing, nice kitchen area not swampy, room to "stretch out," both sheltered and open areas, etc.
  • 5-star - All the 4-star features plus an extra bonus - sandy beach/great swimming area, spectacular view, or some other unique feature.

What do you think? What changes need to be made? This was just my first draft, so feel free to discuss.

*I actually wrote this before Gavia's and BillConner's last two comments, so I haven't incorporated those in yet.

Edited by user Tuesday, April 21, 2015 1:00:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
Canoer97 on 4/21/2015(UTC)
BillConner  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2015 1:02:03 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I don't fish but should fishing be mentioned?  If only as an exceptional feature for a 5 star? Does being the only site on a lake constitute a exceptional feature? Somehow, an adjacent site where you can easiuly hear the other group is a definite downgrade for me - maybe makes a three a two at least.

Ben Strege  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2015 1:53:47 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I don't fish but should fishing be mentioned?  If only as an exceptional feature for a 5 star? Does being the only site on a lake constitute a exceptional feature? Somehow, an adjacent site where you can easiuly hear the other group is a definite downgrade for me - maybe makes a three a two at least.

It looks like we need to put together two lists - basic campsite features and extra/add-on/bonus features. Here are my lists.

Basic features:

• Decent landing
  • Level tent pad(s)
  • Workable kitchen area
  • Room to stretch out (does not necessarily mean will hold a big group - just means more than two steps from the fire pit to the tent pad)
  • Sheltered and open areas (for different weather)
  • Hanging tree? (some are going with barrels instead of hanging now, so might not be a good criterion to add)

In my mind, a 3-star will have most of the basic features. A 4-star will have all of them. A 5-star will have all of them plus one or two bonus features.

Bonus features:

• Fishing from camp
  • Solitude/Remoteness (usually earns an extra star from me)
  • Beach/swimming area
  • Spectacular view
  • Other unique features

A bonus feature could add an extra star on to any campsite, such as making a 3-star a 4-star.

thanks 2 users thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
Canoer97 on 4/21/2015(UTC), sagejon on 4/22/2015(UTC)
BillConner  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2015 7:18:51 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

That all makes good sense. I will only observe that one of the more common issues I see mentioned in various bulletin boards is number of tent pads, and also sites suitable for large tents. Does not fit well in star system but maybe a suggestion that there be a blank for regular and large tents? Regular maybe based on Timberline 4 - 5' x 8' - and large maybe in the 8' x 10' range?

Just a thought.
Gavia  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2015 11:55:32 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I suggested no stars for your one because it was not useable as a site - same as no site.  Are there unuseable sites in the BWCA?  Seems like every site that the rangers amintain a latrine on is probably OK for an emergency.

There is one site I know of in the BW that is not usable.  It's #1144, on Conchu Lake, a short portage north of the North Kawishiwi River.  When I visited it in Sept. 2010, I thought it looked like a lunar landscape with vegetation and couldn't find a place to put a tent.

BillConner  
#18 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2015 6:28:30 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I have no doubt there are not good sites in the BWCAz but surprised with the limit - unlike rhe Q - that one is unuseable. Is this same 1144 as there are photos of on this site? Looks like someone camped there in 2012 at least.

Lots of reported sites in the Q that simply don't exist - no signs of there ever having been a fire ring or tent pad or even any trace. I've tramped through a few of them.
Ben Strege  
#19 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2015 6:55:31 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Would it help if I opened up the rating system to half stars? I've been hesitant to do it since it makes the rating system much more complicated (for the reviewers, not me). I believe it adds too much to think about (is this site 3 stars or 3 1/2 stars?) and would make coming up with a scale more difficult, but I want your opinions as well.

MagicPaddler  
#20 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2015 7:45:48 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

It would be best if the rating was one digit long to save space on the map. Rather than ½ stars go with 0 through 9 or A through Z.
BillConner  
#21 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2015 7:10:30 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I'd say no to 10 points. Its all to subjective and too ephermeral anyway. At best it conveys an impression by one person at one specific time. I could go for three starsbor even thums up or Dow sooner than ten. Also makes it more work to report your review, and I'd rather have 10 0-3 stars than just 3 0-10 stars.
MagicPaddler  
#22 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2015 8:45:02 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I'd say no to 10 points. Its all to subjective and too ephermeral anyway. At best it conveys an impression by one person at one specific time. I could go for three starsbor even thums up or Dow sooner than ten. Also makes it more work to report your review, and I'd rather have 10 0-3 stars than just 3 0-10 stars.

I like the 1 through 4 rating.  It is just a guide so I know which camp sites to check out first.  Usually I just want to know that there is a site there. 

Joe_Schmeaux  
#23 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2015 3:10:44 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Sorta late to this, sorry, but maybe I can still add something of value.

First, a bit of history for the Quetico part of the database, for those who aren't familiar with what happened before Paddle Planner took it over. The Quetico campsite database was originally built by Arch Harris and called "Paddler's Campsite Database (PCD)". (Was this 15 years ago? Something like that.) Arch collected campsite locations from various public sources and showed them on a single map, which users could interact with, post comments, add new site locations, etc. The public source data were of varying quality (some sites were located incorrectly, some did not exist at all), so the first big step (collecting all the public data) could be improved even more by user input. A couple of years ago, Arch retired and was looking for a new home for PCD. Ben Strege stepped up to the plate, and incorporated PCD's data into the predecessor to PaddlePlanner, with a slick new software interface, plus all the other PP features (Thanks again Ben for saving this huge batch of valuable data from oblivion!)

PCD's original software was state of the art at the time, but it did have some limitations which don't exist today. The original PCD rating scale was 0 to 5 stars, with a "0" signifying "Not a campsite", so that's where that idea came from. When things were converted over, Ben chose to define "Not a campsite" separately from the star ratings, so if a site did not exist, it did not get a rating, and if it did exist, it was rated from 1 to 5 stars.

This was a definite improvement, since in most cases, a zero PCD rating did not mean a location that was one step worse than a 1-star, but instead, it meant that the paddler could not find a location at the spot indicated on the PCD map. I have found more than a couple of cases where a previous user marked a location "Not a site", but in fact there was site at that location. Sometimes the 0-star rating meant the previous visitor found the site but it was so poor that for him it did not rate even one star, often it meant the site was small and/or hard to see from the water, and sometimes it meant the previous visitor was either blind or in the wrong location and zero-rated a large and obvious site. If one paddler cannot find a site and gives it 0 stars, while a second paddler finds the site and rates it 3 stars, is the average 1.5 stars? Or 3 stars? If PP decides to allow a zero-star rating to indicate an unusable site, it would have to ensure that the user actually found the site in question and hated it, not that the user was mistakenly staring at some random patch of forest and not at the actual site.

Should there be a formal scale for ratings? I think yes, but only in the most general sense, for example "3 stars" means "average-comfortable", or "1 star" means "usable if desparate" or something like that. We all have different criteria for what we like in campsites, and so our campsite ratings should be expected to differ as well. Trying to pick one formal set of criteria for "campsite quality" and having us all rate sites based on that will mean that the results will only be of value to those of us whose personal criteria match the formal guidelines. I'm happy using the average star rating to get a rough idea of which sites are decent, and then reading through the comments to get a better feel for how well it fits my own personal likes and dislikes.

Half-points? Yes, for me there are a lot of cases where a site falls between the 1-star, 2-star, and 3-star categories and I'd find the extra precision useful. Usually I will include the half-star ratings in my comments, so people will know that a site to which I gave 3 stars (2 1/2 stars) might be a 2-star site to them, and a site to which I gave 3 stars (3 1/2 stars) might be a 4-star site for them. If two people rate a site, and one gives it 2 stars and the other 3 stars, the average is 2.5 stars, so allowing half-star ratings from single users really doesn't change anything. The important thing is that any changes we make to the current system don't make the thousands of existing campsite ratings already in the system obsolete.

To sum up this long winded post, I think the current system is pretty good. The biggest improvement that could be made would be for more users to submit more campsite ratings, with more detailed comments, more photos, ...

thanks 2 users thanked Joe_Schmeaux for this useful post.
Canoer97 on 7/13/2015(UTC), Ben Strege on 7/14/2015(UTC)
Canoer97  
#24 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2015 4:43:56 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Ben's post #13 sounds pretty good to me.
Ben Strege  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2015 10:02:02 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Thanks for all of the replies. I will add some guidelines to the rating form. I still want to keep them at "guidelines rather than actual rules."

I'll use language similar to what I put in post #13 along with the list of basic/extra campsite features.

Edited by user Tuesday, July 14, 2015 10:53:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

BillConner  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2015 10:13:23 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I agree - and the greatest emphasis should be on getting people to contribute and update.  Even if someones' three star is my five star or vice a versa, it's there and useable.  Location corrections also high priority.

Luckily, in the Q, the whole issue is mitigated by teh fact that there are usually good sites findable everywhere.  I remember looking for a long tine of a island site on Glacier - tramped all over the island an not a sign of it ever having been camped on ("real" LNT!) but a very nice one on shore not far away.  On the other hand, the 5+ star on Williams was fun - my son and I enjoyed it enough tp layover there, so fun to look and think about destinations sometimes or know there could be a gem off in some bay.

TuscaroraBorealis  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2015 9:48:43 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)

While I certainly look at and value the ratings, perhaps more importantly (to me) is the comment & photo section.  For instance, if traveling with a larger group, whether or not a site has multiple tent pads (or is large and open) is of more precedence than if the site is highly rated but small.   Of course alot of times those things go hand in hand.

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply