Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fishguts  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 16, 2014 4:12:27 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

We are driving to Ely to take a Quetico trip in early June, we are breaking it into 2 segments.....Oregon Coast to Billings or Bozeman MT....spend the night in a motel....get up early and drive to Ely. We are looking at motel 6 and some others.............................

Any ideas or suggestions?

fishguts

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2014 2:48:49 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)
We stayed at the Howard Johnson in Billings. It was the dirtiest pool I have ever seen. Our toilet also was plugged. I would not recommend it.
fishguts  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2014 3:47:22 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thanks! We will stay clear of there........I had a friend in college that worked at one of those.....and I will never stay there. :-(
alvinpark  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2016 6:17:35 AM(UTC)

Gunflint Pines Resort & Campgrounds

Thanks & Regards,

web experts

BillConner  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2016 7:40:51 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
In Ely, I only stay at the Canoe Country Outfitters motel.
Chris Hoepker  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2016 10:18:30 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)

My wife and I pay a lot of attention to the reviews (TripAdvisor, Booking.com, etc.) and we never ever take a room that we haven't looked at. In the past, we've taken without looking and every time we'd end up having a lousy night. If we end up in a bad one, I really roast them in the review.

Other than the really high end chains, we've found that Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express is the one chain that is the most reliably good. We have occasionally checked into some quite good and reasonbly priced independents.

We have a number of gripes with motels in general: Smell of smoke and/or cleaning fluid, noisy, outdoor lighting shines in, windows not openable, uncomfortable beds, room temperature not controllable.

For some years now there has been a very nasty trend to include breakfast in the room price. Unfortunately, this has led to free 'breakfasts' with coffee that is nothing but brown hot water and food that is essentially just different kinds of warm cardboard. The best thing is to forget the free 'breakfast' and find a good old fashioned coffee shop. Trouble is these are becoming extinct. Maybe due to the free breakfast trend?   

BillConner  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2016 10:59:29 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Well, the CCO motel in Ely is far from four star accommodations - about as simple and plain as you can get - but immaculately clean and all things in great working order. Kind of reminds me of the the classic Catskills motor lodges - shellac coated milled pine on walls and ceilings, linoleum floors with rugs, and those rounded iron head and foot boards like at grandmas. No AC but fans. No central heat - just electric space heaters. Wide covered porch to spread gear pout and lines to hang things on to dry. And you indeed might hear people loading up in the mourning as they are heading out. Fantastic people. I stay at top places - usually Hiltons or ones in that family 40-50 times a year - and I look forward CCO every time and relish it more than the poshest hotels. No breakfast - always Brittons since Cranberries closed - though I might try Taste of Ely this year.