Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
brushbuster  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2015 11:00:35 AM(UTC)

I have never been to the bwca and thought i would give september a try. I see there are some permits available for snowbank lake OP on my desired dates. Will i get the permit in the mail or do i have to pick it up somewhere?Once i have the entry permit can i go anywhere in the park from that entrance stated on the permit? Can i add a member to my party as long i pay the additional charge or am i stuck with the number of members I specified upon obtaining the permit?

Thanks.

Sponsor
Gavia  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 3, 2015 1:28:10 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Here's a link to the BWCA Reservations page:
http://www.recreation.go...de=NRSO&parkId=72600

After Labor Day you just about have your pick of permits.

You order the permit through the website. You will have to pick up the permit so be sure to specify where you want to pick it up. If you use an outfitter you will probably want to pick it up there. The permit you order on the website is really just a reservation. You'll get the actual permit where you pick it up. You can make changes at that time.

Yes, after you enter you can go anywhere in the BW you want.

I've gone in September a number of times and it's been great. You might like to check out my trip reports, which include a couple of trips leaving from and exiting at Snowbank. They're in the trip report section of this site. You can also see them here: http://codabone.net/canoe.htm.

Have a great trip and be sure to post a trip report with pictures!
thanks 1 user thanked Gavia for this useful post.
halvorson.christopher on 4/10/2016(UTC)
BillConner  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 3, 2015 8:20:15 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
There are a few exceptions to the "go anywhere" concept. For instance EP 66 is a "stuck" permit, and with it you can only camp on Crocodile Lake. One of the Mudro permits (24?) does not permit you to camp on Horse. I don't know if there are others like these. EP 72 "from Canada" is also unique in that you can pick it up more than one day in advance of entry.
eagle98mn  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 5, 2015 11:27:55 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Agree with previous posts. I have done early September the last two years and loved it - warm days, cool nights, lighter traffic and few bugs! Just be sure to pack for all weather possibilities since it can get pretty cold pretty fast, even in September.

Also, be sure to actually pick up that permit! Last year was my first time being "group leader". I went to pick up my canoe from Sawbill Outfitters and neglected to mention I needed to pick up my permit too. Off we went. 2 hours later we realized we didn't have our permit. We decided against turning around, and chanced getting caught without it. Made it 4 days with no ranger, but the folks at Sawbill said we were lucky when we returned. Without internet, the rangers in the BWCA have to assume you don't have a permit, even it you paid in advance online. I guess I can understand that. Long story short, pick up the permit you reserve! :)

VoyageurNorth  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2016 2:06:51 AM(UTC)

Brushbuster, how did your trip go? Where did you go?