Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TuscaroraBorealis  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 1, 2016 10:16:00 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Who's all here?!
Sponsor
bwbrian  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 1, 2016 11:24:18 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm here. Looking forward to a couple trips next summer!
Canoer97  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 1, 2016 1:55:13 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
September will be here before we know it. Looking forward to a great trip to Basswood Falls.
Ben Strege  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 1, 2016 2:57:33 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I'm here (of course). I'm still planning my trips for next summer. The only thing for sure is that I'm going - just don't know when, where, or with whom yet.

BillConner  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2016 7:36:23 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
No idea what my paddling trips will be this year but for sure at least one trip to BWCAW and/or Quetico.
eagle98mn  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2016 11:49:07 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Found this site last spring and have been obsessed with planning possible trips ever since!

No definite trip dates yet, but I'm shooting for 2-3 trips this year. One with friends is all but guaranteed to happen. Introducing cousins to the BWCA is also looking likely if we can nail down dates. The 3rd is the real trick - convincing a skeptical/reluctant wife to go for the first time! 

Wally13  
#7 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2016 3:03:40 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I am still alive and kicking!

Made plans to do a 10 day Quetico Trip up the Maligne River with some buds over the 4th of July. Sturgeon, Bentpine, some other remote nearby lakes like Boulder, Your and Snow) . Looking for walleyes and smallies.

If anyone has some tips on fishing and campsites in this area let me know. Paddle Planner has really helped me map out my trip. Also, figuring out portaging and paddling times between lakes is especially helpful. Good job Ben.

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year.

Wally13 ( I may to change my username from porterme to Wally13)
overloaded  
#8 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2016 8:32:36 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Still here too. Hopefully be able to make 3 trips this year.
AmateurHour  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 5, 2016 10:57:07 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Present and looking forward to Saganaga and Sylvania this summer.
canoe42  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 5, 2016 1:06:47 PM(UTC)

Canoe42 checking in.

shipsgunner  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 5, 2016 9:55:34 PM(UTC)

HERE! and first post... :)
Ben Strege  
#12 Posted : Friday, January 8, 2016 10:28:17 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: shipsgunner Go to Quoted Post
HERE! and first post... :)

Welcome!

Jackfish  
#13 Posted : Saturday, January 9, 2016 9:17:30 PM(UTC)

Jackfish here... popping in to say hello.
Gavia  
#14 Posted : Monday, January 11, 2016 4:18:48 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)

Still alive and kicking here.

I'm looking forward to getting back to my two-trips-a-year habit. Last year (2015) I was sidelined by an autoimmune disorder that keeps me from driving on most days, especially in the morning. I'm learning its dynamics and what I can do to reduce symptoms. I'll never be back to normal, but by May I expect to have enough of a handle on it to get back in the saddle - or is that back on the paddle? If my brother doesn't come along I'll do a ten-day solo trip. Putting in at Sea Gull Lake will give me lots of options, and fourteen days' worth of food should be enough backup. Now if I can just arrange my good days to coincide with good weather days ....

Joe_Schmeaux  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2016 2:42:53 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Yes, I'm here too.

Currently planning for a Q trip in late June / early July.

Sturgeon_7  
#16 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2016 6:14:49 PM(UTC)

Finally planning a trip for 2 weeks in last half of August after an absence of what will be four eternally long years! Cant wait!!!

Schedule

boonie  
#17 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2016 8:46:57 PM(UTC)

Here in 2016
jcavenagh  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2016 5:17:14 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm here...but, don't tell my wife...
ruddy  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2016 11:03:13 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Ruddy's head north in September.
thanks 1 user thanked ruddy for this useful post.
Canoer97 on 1/28/2016(UTC)
gymcoachdon  
#20 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 11:05:36 PM(UTC)

Present, secured entry permit for September 5th, going in EP 33 Little Gabbro for 3 generation mens trip.  7 people ages 12-76, should be a bit different than my solo trip last September.

Walter Eyed Pike  
#21 Posted : Monday, February 1, 2016 2:45:15 PM(UTC)

Checking in for the first time--- I, along with an unknown number (Maximum 4, min, 2) of individuals will be heading out of #37 on June 17!!  Look forward to getting to know some individuals who share similar passions!

cycle003  
#22 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2016 11:18:37 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I'm here and looking forward to more canoe camping this year.
eagle98mn  
#23 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2016 11:31:09 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Walter Eyed Pike Go to Quoted Post

Checking in for the first time--- I, along with an unknown number (Maximum 4, min, 2) of individuals will be heading out of #37 on June 17!!  Look forward to getting to know some individuals who share similar passions!

Love that EP and hoping to take a group in there myself in August. What's your destination Walter Eyed Pike?

Walter Eyed Pike  
#24 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2016 2:29:11 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: eagle98mn Go to Quoted Post

Love that EP and hoping to take a group in there myself in August. What's your destination Walter Eyed Pike?

First thought is to make the journey up to Malberg-- Can this be done with rookies in a day??-- We are all fit-humans, some are just inexperienced paddlers.  I have not went from this point, however, I am looking forward to it.

Ben Strege  
#25 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2016 3:26:00 PM(UTC)

First thought is to make the journey up to Malberg-- Can this be done with rookies in a day??-- We are all fit-humans, some are just inexperienced paddlers. I have not went from this point, however, I am looking forward to it.

When I was a boy scout, we did that in about 6 hours - and we were all very inexperienced. What makes the biggest difference on this route is portaging, not paddling. The lakes themselves aren't that big. There are a couple semi-long portages. Here is a link to the route - Kawishiwi to Malberg.

eagle98mn  
#26 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2016 10:56:11 PM(UTC)

First thought is to make the journey up to Malberg-- Can this be done with rookies in a day??-- We are all fit-humans, some are just inexperienced paddlers.  I have not went from this point, however, I am looking forward to it.

My first time to the BWCA was in 2013. 8 guys went in at Kawishiwi, 3 with previous experience. We made it all the way to Adams (4 lakes past Malberg) in about 8 hours. We single-portaged everything, and the group was hitting a bit of a wall right after exiting Malberg. We were feeling good up until then, and we pushed through it, but a few might not have been too happy about that decision! :) The reason I like this EP is that I think the portages are pretty tame. They don't have a lot of elevation changes. The only challenge is they come in bunches, but I still feel like they are a good introduction to portaging since I've dealt with much more hilly terrain in my subsequent BWCA trips. 

My opinion is that you can definitely do Malberg in one day, though if you find yourself double-portaging it wouldn't hurt to break it up with a stop at Polly. The toughest part of your trip in is the back-to-back portages leading into Polly (187 rods followed by another 88 rods, and the paddle between them is nothing more than a pond so there is almost no recovery time). However, they are relatively flat so at least you have that going for you. If you continue past Polly, your next possible stop is Koma, and at that point you might as well just cross into Malberg. So I would say, aim for Malberg with plans to evaluate your group's energy at the North end of Polly, once people have some time to recover from the back-to-back portages they crossed into Polly. Hopefully you make it, but you could do worse than a stop on Polly!

If my trip happens, I will be with all rookies and we will be pushing for Amber on day 1. So I'm not telling you to do something I wouldn't do again. :)

PS - watch for sumberged boulders on the river between Square and Kawasachong.

halvorson.christopher  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, February 9, 2016 7:41:00 PM(UTC)

A little late, but I'm Here!
01richwood  
#28 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2016 7:31:09 PM(UTC)

Awesome site to plan our trips.  I used the "Route Movie" mode today, its super awesome.  This year will be my 5th, 6 day adventure. My friends that got me into this, its their 11th. They got their 500 mile BWCA patch last year. lol  I got some great advice last year to help plan this route.

Here's the East Border Lakes loop we took last year. I'll try sharing the URL link. Hope it works  http://goo.gl/8Pi2qC . or this link EAST BORDER LAKES LOOP.

Edited by moderator Tuesday, March 22, 2016 7:24:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

eagle98mn  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2016 8:53:12 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: 01richwood Go to Quoted Post

Here's the East Border Lakes loop we took last year. I'll try sharing the URL link. Hope it works  http://goo.gl/8Pi2qC . or this link EAST BORDER LAKES LOOP.

That is almost the exact route I'm looking at for this fall (except staying north of Pine and going through the Pikes instead). If you have any pictures, I'd love to see an album from your trip!

01richwood  
#30 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 10:56:27 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: eagle98mn Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: 01richwood Go to Quoted Post

That is almost the exact route I'm looking at for this fall (except staying north of Pine and going through the Pikes instead). If you have any pictures, I'd love to see an album from your trip!

Sorry I didn't know I had a response. I think if you click on my user name you can see my photo album from my East Boarder lakes trip.  Or check out this video I made of the trip. You may want to fast forward through some of this. All the music was created on the spot during our trip.  Boundary Water Canoe Area East Border lakes WWP tour 2015 

thanks 1 user thanked 01richwood for this useful post.
eagle98mn on 4/13/2016(UTC)
nojobro  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2016 4:38:30 PM(UTC)

Hi! Just getting to know this site...been on a different site for quite a while; see some familiar names here. Love the maps here. So great. Anyway, Hi!

Gavia  
#32 Posted : Thursday, April 21, 2016 5:54:28 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Hi Nola! Nice to "see" you again. I hope you enjoy this site. It works a little differently from what you're used to, but it's fun. PM me if you'd like to chat.

Gavia
aka Koda (Dave)