Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
vcchristensen  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2015 9:16:33 PM(UTC)

How long will it take to get from Moose River North EP16 to Boulder Bay ? Wondering if it can be done in on day and still be able to find campsite available ?

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2015 10:01:20 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

My wife and I did it in April once in 8 hours. There was an extremely strong headwind, so we would have been faster if not for that. Since it was April, we had our pick of the campsites. In the summer, though, campsites may be at a premium, especially in Boulder Bay. I haven't been there in the summer, so that is just a guess.

Gavia  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2015 11:15:44 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)

I've done it three times, once tandem and twice solo.  Each time it took two days, but I've either camped farther north on LLC or taken the long way to Tiger Bay via the Boulder River.

I'd say if you're paddling tandem, reasonably efficient on portages, don't hit a nasty headwind, and don't follow the Boulder River, you should be able to make the 11-1/2 miles in 6 hours.  Whether you can find a campsite is another question.  The sites in Boulder Bay are pretty nice and, as Ben says, depending on the season you might have trouble finding one.  My general rule of thumb is to be in a campsite by 2:00 pm - but I go during the slow times, in May and September.  Get an early start, like 7:00, and you should have no trouble as long as the tripping gods are smiling on you.

Ben Strege  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2015 11:30:22 PM(UTC)

Are you looking at this route for your scout troop? If so, add some extra time for the learning curve.

vcchristensen  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2015 6:49:58 AM(UTC)

Yes, it is for my scout group. I thought it might be pushing it for our first day. I think we will spend the night on Agnes the first night. Then a short paddle to Boulder Bay the next day and hopefully get a camp site.

We got 2 permits for Moose River for our two groups. I know we cant travel together so we will send the second group out an hour or so later. We would like to stay around the same areas though but keep our distances enough not to get in anyone elses way. We only have 11 people total between both groups.

We were going to plan a loop trip but I dont want to push the boys on their first trip with early rises, long paddles, and break and set camp every day. So I was thinking of Agnes the first night. On to Boulder Bay and LLC. Spend three nights on LLC, maybe site hop a couple times. Maybe head over to Iron for a night and check out some falls. Check out the pictographs on LLC. Spend the last night back on Agnes our maybe even Nina Moose then head back out the Moose River like we came in.
Ben Strege  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2015 7:29:20 AM(UTC)

Agnes can fill up fast, so get an early start like Gavia suggested. Otherwise I think it is a good plan.

vcchristensen  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2015 8:29:00 AM(UTC)

I was going to have our outfitter drop us off around 6:30am.
Grandma L  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 3, 2015 4:34:57 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

We broke up that stretch and stayed on Agnes so we got to both Agnes and Boulder Bay early enough to get pertty good sites. That was an August 1 trip and things were pertty busy.