Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jensdawg  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 3, 2015 10:08:54 PM(UTC)

i am going on a trip aug 23 to 29 from entry point 32.  i am planning a trip from entry 32 and am looking for a trip that includes a good amount of miles that has a couple of good spots for layover days,  all on the trip will be experienced paddlers/backcountry campers and are not afraid to make a worthwile portage to get some good spots.  mabey in the 50 to 60 mile range.  haven't been to the bwca since 95 and i don't know the area.  looking for tips.  

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 4, 2015 10:23:19 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

The Kawishiwi Triangle region isn't very large. If you want to do 50-60 miles, you will be able to see every single lake there - Kawishiwi Triangle Route

I've only taken one short trip through that entry point. We had some young kids with us. We paddled for a couple of hours and set up camp. Especially near the entry point, you will see a lot of people that do that. There are also several entry points servicing the region, so I don't think you will ever find solitude. What do you want out of your trip? Good campsites, fishing, solitude, etc.? What is most important?

Gavia  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 5, 2015 12:13:17 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)
There's a nice campsite on the east-west part of the Kawishiwi River, near the portage leading into Conchu. The site on Conchu isn't usable, but the Kaw. R. site is fairly roomy and has at least two good tent pads with another one or two that are OK.

The 210-rod portage west of this site is supposed to be pretty rugged.

On my last trip there I was planning to do the Kaw. triangle. I met a group along the way who said the 175-rod portage landing at the west end of Clear Lake was 30 yards of mud - and they looked like it.

Just a thought: If you plan to exit at EP32, you're looking at an out-and-back trip. If you want a 6-day loop you might look at the LacLaCroix area (EPs 14 & 16) as well as EP 30 (Insula, Thomas, Ima, Disappointment, Snowbank, with a shuttle back from EP27 using Kawishiwi Lodge).