Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gordy  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 10:30:38 AM(UTC)

Three or four of us will be base camping on Thomas or Hatchet lake in Sep. 2014.  We will be coming in from Moose Lake and exiting on Snowbank.  We would appreciate any camping, fishing, portage or interesting site info you have.  Thanks

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 11:45:51 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)
I haven't been to Thomas or Hatchet specifically, but I have been through Moose Lake and Snowbank, so I can speak about those areas.

Moose Lake Area

Are you planning on going through Knife or Ensign? We went to Knife Lake. The only issue to watch out for are the portages between Seed and Knife Lakes. I think most maps only show one portage between Seed and Knife. There are actually two. There is a small pond between Seed and Knife that you will have to unload at and reload at the other side. Stop by and see bacon rock and other artifacts on the Isle of Pine (Dorothy's Island). There are a few nice campsites on the western end of Knife (I can't speak for anything further east of Robbins Island).

Jordan Lake Area

We went through Snowbank and stayed on Jordan. There is a nice sandy beach campsite on Jordan - the one furthest north. We stayed at the southern one, which was also nice. We had horrible luck fishing on Jordan, but we caught a lot of northerns on Three Eagle (just a short bushwhack through the woods to the north).

I don't remember any of the portages in either area being too difficult. Our two trip reports:

All of our campsite reviews are on the map or the campsite database.

fishguts  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 13, 2014 3:55:25 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

We used to camp on one of the northern islands in Thomas, A beautiful site, and good trout fishing too. Here are some pictures from 1964.ThomasHachettThe portage dock is long gone, but I think this is on Hatchet

bellpaddler  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 29, 2014 11:18:47 PM(UTC)

Fishguts, The dock in the photo is from the portage to Hatchet from Ima...the lake in the background is Ima. I have traveled through there quite a few times.

Hatchet is a good walleye lake, but I would base on Thomas, I like the lake, and love trout
Gavia  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 29, 2014 11:58:17 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)

Here's what the portage landing on Ima leading to Hatchet looks like.  It's very dangerous in a strong westerly wind.

Ima L. end of Ima-Hatchet portage