Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jperry17  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 19, 2014 7:06:11 PM(UTC)

Hi all,

Making my first trip with the girlfriend and 10 year old son into BWCA this August. We are entering in an #14 off echo trail and plan on going into Shell lake. I guess I have two questions. How is the portage from Lower Paunes to Shell, and MOST important is, how bad is it getting back upriver from Upper Pauness to launch point #14. Is it paddle able for an experienced and medium paddlers?
Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 19, 2014 9:05:11 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

The portage from Lower Pauness to Shell is long and muddy at times. There is a stretch that has logs crossing a flooded area (thanks to an industrious beaver). In fact, during certain times of the year, that part is underwater. However, in August, usually the portage will be a lot drier than it would be in June. Truthfully, I wouldn't worry too much about the portage other than the length. Make sure your girlfriend and son are prepared for a 2/3 mile walk/hike/slog.

Most of the rivers in the BWCA have very little discernible current, especially in August. I went up and down that river in June, and we couldn't tell there was any current at all. It shouldn't be a problem unless we have torrential rains around that time.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
jperry17 on 4/19/2014(UTC)