Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GeoFisher  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2015 9:07:26 PM(UTC)

So, I was playing around today and found the toolbar for exporting your current map view.  So what the heck,  I load up my printer with some Gage waterproof paper, and export away.  

All I have to say is WOW.  I printed 6 maps for my trip that are "custom" views for very particular areas I will be visiting.  VERY CUSTOM views.  I tell you, this is a fantastic, fantastic component of this site.

Having missed my trip this past Spring, this has been a godsend for keeping my sanity  

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2015 1:30:49 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Glad you like it! I use it myself on my trips. I also just added a feature that someone requested. You can now print the details (including detailed ratings and photos) for the campsites shown on the exported map. There are a few options to show or hide stuff as well.

TuscaroraBorealis  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2015 4:33:24 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)

Definitely interested!  How does one go about doing this?  

Ben Strege  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2015 4:53:24 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Originally Posted by: TuscaroraBorealis Go to Quoted Post
Definitely interested!  How does one go about doing this?

First turn on/off the layers and background that you want. Get the map approximately at the zoom and location that you want (you can adjust this slightly later, so exactness isn't important). Then use the "Export to Image" button on the left -

Map Export to Image

Follow the instructions on the next screen.

While I don't advise using it to navigate by, I find it useful on my trips. I especially like it for the Quetico since most campsites aren't marked on other maps.

thanks 4 users thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
TuscaroraBorealis on 8/13/2015(UTC), overloaded on 8/17/2015(UTC), eagle98mn on 8/19/2015(UTC), dontgoenuf on 1/29/2017(UTC)
Aldy1  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2017 11:14:07 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Yeah, just discovered the export tool yesterday - just aweosme. My roommate and I downloaded the map and overlayed it directly to Google Earth and you can map out your route and see elevation changes..amongst other things. It makes planning a real treat.