Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AmateurHour  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2015 2:53:15 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)

Would it be possible to add photo tagging or other metadata functionality so I can sort/filter/organize beyond my albums? I'd like to show my fishing buddies just fishing pics across various trips or to just look at underwater stuff.

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2015 8:33:03 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

It is possible to add a photo to more than one album, which I guess would be like tagging. For example, you can add a fishing album and add all of your fishing photos to it. Right now it isn't very easy or convenient, though, to add to more than one album. You have to go into each individual photo, press the "Edit" button, and add the album from there.

I am currently working on upgrading all of the photo functionality. I am almost finished with a new photo upload page that allows you to upload multiple photos at one time, automatically reads the location if it is geotagged, and lets you change the title/description in one spot. I also had in mind a new tool to help manage the photo albums, which would make it easier to add photos to an album. I think this is what you are asking for with the tagging functionality. I have a few other things in mind that will improve the photos viewing experience on the site.

What other metadata would you want to add?

AmateurHour  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2015 10:44:59 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Ah, okay, that's how it's done. Works pretty well for current purposes, though you're right that it takes a few clicks. The in-progress enhancements also sound cool.

A couple of ideas for maybe farther down the road:
• Filtering/sorting on multiple criteria or albums, e.g. fishing photos on Knife Lake from 2008, 2009, and 2015 trips.
• Metadata for connecting photos to saved routes (maybe already a map enthusiast feature).
• Ability to jointly own albums if multiple PP users take a trip together.
Ben Strege  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2015 10:06:25 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

You can view photos that are along a route, but it gives photos from all users. You may have to elaborate a bit on your second bullet point so I am sure I know what you are looking for.

Your comments remind me of an idea that I've had but haven't started working on yet. I've thought of doing "trip logs" in addition to (or instead of) "trip reports." A log entry could have:

• Basic info - when, where, who (could add multiple users)
  • Photos/albums
  • Route (with map)
  • "Traditional" trip report
  • Probably other stuff I haven't thought of yet

The idea came about after thinking that I am a couple of years behind on my trip reports. I thought it would be a good idea to have a log to put my basic trip info in until I get around to writing the report. Some people don't want to write trip reports, so this would be an easy way to just say "I went here." I hadn't thought of having multiple users' photo albums linked to the log entry, but it is a good idea since that does happen.

A thought just crossed my mind when reading your filtering/sorting comment. Would it be useful to have some standard tags (e.g. fishing, campsite, portage, etc.) so photos can be sorted/filtered/searched across all users and not just in your photo albums? Without standard tags, this would be difficult.

eagle98mn  
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 26, 2015 5:32:36 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)

I like the idea of being able to filter across all users. For example, while it is interesting to see pictures of fish people caught, fishing isn't my top priority in the BWCA. So, I would love to be able to filter these out so I could more easily find the pictures of cool "sites" people have found. Those "sites" will likely be incorporated into future trips I plan.

Along those lines, it would be neat to be able to bookmark or favorite photos from other people for future reference so I don't have to search for them again. For me, this would form a sort of "wish list" of locations I would love to see for myself. Then I don't have to remember exactly where each picture was every time I go to plan.

Love the enhancements in general Ben. Keep up the good work!

Edited by user Saturday, September 26, 2015 9:18:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

AmateurHour  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2015 2:39:50 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Originally Posted by: Ben Strege Go to Quoted Post

You can view photos that are along a route, but it gives photos from all users. You may have to elaborate a bit on your second bullet point so I am sure I know what you are looking for.

Your comments remind me of an idea that I've had but haven't started working on yet. I've thought of doing "trip logs" in addition to (or instead of) "trip reports." A log entry could have:

• Basic info - when, where, who (could add multiple users)
  • Photos/albums
  • Route (with map)
  • "Traditional" trip report
  • Probably other stuff I haven't thought of yet

The idea came about after thinking that I am a couple of years behind on my trip reports. I thought it would be a good idea to have a log to put my basic trip info in until I get around to writing the report. Some people don't want to write trip reports, so this would be an easy way to just say "I went here." I hadn't thought of having multiple users' photo albums linked to the log entry, but it is a good idea since that does happen.

A thought just crossed my mind when reading your filtering/sorting comment. Would it be useful to have some standard tags (e.g. fishing, campsite, portage, etc.) so photos can be sorted/filtered/searched across all users and not just in your photo albums? Without standard tags, this would be difficult.

I'd say that we're pretty much thinking in the same direction, especially with the trip logs essentially building out additional picture/location/person info. That's a nifty leap beyond what I was thinking.

A few standard tags might be cool, though it largely depends on how much administration you want to put into it. A few basic ones like "fish" or "campsite" or "cool photo op" or "ZOMG CHECK OUT THIS CRAZINESS" could prove handy for those seeking a certain type of content, as eagle98mn points out.

I also second the thanks for the awesome stuff on this site.

Ben Strege  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 6, 2015 11:51:23 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I added the new photo uploading tool. It allows you to upload multiple photos at one time. If your photos are geotagged, it should automatically detect it and assign a location (which can be changed). Instructions are on the page if needed. I'll still make a few tweaks to it, but this should be much better than the old method, especially when uploading all of the photos from one trip.

If your camera doesn't geotag photos and you use a GPS, I've had very good success using geotagging tools that determine where a photo was taken by comparing the GPS track with the photo's date/timestamp. One such tool is GeoSetter. Garmin's BaseCamp also has a geotagging tool built-in. For best success, you need to have your GPS on whenever you are traveling so you have an accurate track.

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply