Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AmateurHour  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 6, 2015 10:31:25 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)

We have some friends in the Bemidji area who haven't canoe camped before, but they're pretty familiar with camping in tents away from running water and electricity. Entry Point 1 looks like the closest to them. Is that part of Vermilion and Trout Lake reasonable for first-timers? My first trip was on Sag with its big water and motor traffic, and I think that nothing tougher than that would be best. Are there any other wilderness areas out that way that people have tried?

Edited by user Tuesday, October 6, 2015 10:53:51 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 6, 2015 11:55:03 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I like EP #1. I think it is underutilized - 14 permits per day, but hardly any of them are ever taken. Both Vermilion and Trout can get rolling, so first-timers will need to be very careful if it is windy.

Could they stand a 269 rod portage? I always suggest Pine Lake if you want to get away from the motors. A longer, but less portaging, option to get there is to use Pine Creek.

As for other places, the Bigfork River is pretty good. They would need either two vehicles or a shuttle. The other Minnesota Water Trails in the area are also good - Crow Wing River and Red Lake River.

I also just discovered the Trout Lake Semiprimitive Nonmotorized Area in the Chippewa National Forest north of Grand Rapids. I've never been there - you think I would have since I deer hunt literally 2 miles from it, but I just found out about it this summer. The brochure says that it is "semiprimitive, nonmotorized," but the nonmotorized part is deceiving. It says all lakes within the boundaries are nonmotorized except Trout and Spider. Pretty much the only campsites are on Trout and Spider, though, so I wouldn't say it is nonmotorized. It is an option, though, and pretty close to Bemidji.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
AmateurHour on 10/7/2015(UTC)
AmateurHour  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 7, 2015 5:50:37 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)
That is crazy helpful. I wondered whether there might be something Sylvania-esque out that way. Trout Lake SNA looks like a good place to take beginners, though, yeah, total misnomer regarding motors. Thank you!