Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
eagle98mn  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2015 10:43:52 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Is anyone else having trouble using the interactive map in the Chrome browser over the last week or so? I visit the site fairly often to daydream about next summer's routes, and recently it seems to have slowed to the point of being unusable. It doesn't happen right away.  Within a few minutes of using the map, it slows down dramatically in all respects - scrolling, loading reviews, etc. I have been trying the map tonight in Firefox on the same PC and it seems to work just fine. Maybe something changed recently on the site and isn't working right with Chrome? Or maybe its on my computer's end. I'm open to thoughts...

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2015 11:22:41 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I haven't changed the maps at all, but I think I am having the same problems as you. I wonder if Chrome just pushed out an update and broke stuff again... I'll have to look into it.

Ben Strege  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2015 11:45:24 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

If it has just been the last week, it must be something to do with the new release. Chrome released version 46 on 10/13. I'm guessing that is when you started having problems. Unrelated to this site but to Chrome, we also cannot use Flash on any websites anymore. 

Have you tried any other browsers? Any issues with them? They all behave a little differently on the map but should work. I'll keep seeing what I can do with Chrome.

eagle98mn  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2015 9:06:23 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Hey Ben,

I don't envy websites like yours trying to keep on top of the myriad of different browswers and devices, especially when any random update can break your site!

Yes, I am still having success using the website in Firefox on the same PC. Thanks for looking into Chome - mostly because I would hate for someone new to think the website is too slow to use when you have developed such an awesome resource. I'll be fine using Firefox in the meantime.

Ben Strege  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2015 9:20:50 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Thanks for understanding. It has been frustrating trying to figure it out. It just seems to be random - sometimes I can use the map for a long time without it slowing down, and other times it slows to a crawl right away. It doesn't seem to be anything I am doing doing since I try to do the same things every time.

eagle98mn  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2015 9:31:06 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

It does seem random - I wasn't able to pinpoint a trigger either. Good luck!

Ben Strege  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2015 9:51:51 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I think I pinpointed the trigger - now I just have to figure out why and what to do about it. It only happens when:

1. You click on one of the map icons and open up the information window (the dialog box in the lower right). Actually, opening up the dialog box for the Route Finder or anything else will do it, too.
  2. You switch tabs in the dialog box (if you don't switch tabs, it won't happen)
  3. You close the dialog box using the X in the corner

The effect will be pretty much immediate - the map becomes unusable. 

Thanks for pointing out the problem. I may have gone a few more days without seeing it since I've been working on things other than the maps lately. I'll let you know when I get it fixed.

Ben Strege  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2015 11:43:14 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Well, this one has me puzzled. I thought I had tracked down the error, switched everything over to a new tab system (something I've been meaning to do for a while anyway), and tried it out. At first it seemed to work great. Then the bug hit again... It is definitely a lot better than before, but now it just seems random again. Back to the drawing board.

Ben Strege  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2015 11:07:46 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I've used the map a bit more, and it hasn't stopped again, so maybe it is fixed. Let me know if you still have issues and I'll try something else.

eagle98mn  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2015 10:43:22 PM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

I'm playing with it tonight and have no problems so far. In fact, the website is screaming fast now! I can't believe how fast the route finder is calculating, even for more complex multi-destinataion routes. Crossing my fingers that you not only fixed it, but improved the site too - nice work!

Ben Strege  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, October 21, 2015 6:54:40 AM(UTC)
Retweet Quote

Thanks. I think I will still do my second alternative - change the popups to a sidebar so it will look better and work better on small screens.

The website speed varies, and some of it is out of my control. You may notice some days it is really fast and others it isn't. The website is on a shared server, which means multiple websites run off the same computer. The other websites also affect this one. I purchased the "best" shared hosting plan, but it is still shared hosting. Overall I am very happy with the plan I have since there have been very few hiccups and it has been fast enough. 

I didn't change the route finder at all (at least not lately - the major overhaul happened a few months ago), but it can be fast or slow for a few reasons. The biggest reason it would be fast is that the route was calculated previously. The results are stored, and if you calculate the same route again, it will just retrieve the stored route. I clear out the results periodically, though, when I update the routes, so it isn't permanent. When you are building a route, as soon as you put a destination on the list, it starts calculating. When the red line changes to gray, it is finished (the gray line is what I call the "preview line"). So if all of your red lines have changed to gray when you press "Calculate," it will appear almost immediately. Don't worry, though, if not all of them have changed to gray when you press calculate - the preview lines calculate one at a time, but when you press calculate, it does three at a time, so that would be faster than waiting for the previews to finish. The preview line also has a 30 second calculation time limit while the real calculation has a longer one, so it might calculate even though the preview never appears.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 21, 2015 7:02:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply