Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ruddy  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 3, 2014 8:41:24 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have my father's canvas canoe that goes with me on ever trip. Thinking of getting a Kevlar canoe but don't know if I would leave Dad's behind. Confused
Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 3, 2014 9:05:05 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I, too, bring equipment for the sentimental value, for example, my 17-year-old paddle that was really roughed up, but I couldn't get myself to replace it until this last weekend. Every time I went on a trip with that paddle, I would bring all the memories from the time I was 14 years old with me. I always said I would use the paddle until it broke, but I knew that if it ever did, I would be really, really sad. I finally decided to start making new memories with a new paddle and put the old one in a place of honor. Now, whenever I look at it, the memories will still come back. 

Your canvas canoe probably holds the same kind of memories that my paddle does. This is a tough one. I love Kevlar canoes, but I understand the difficulty in parting with the old canvas. My wife wanted to get me a new paddle for years, but I kept refusing. Is it time? Only you know the answer to that.

Edited by user Saturday, May 3, 2014 9:27:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

TuscaroraBorealis  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 3, 2014 10:06:38 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)

If it ain't broke, don't fix/replace it.  

I'm not always successful at it, but,that's a motto I usually try to abide by.  (especially on pricier items like a canoe would be)  And you've got the sentimentality factor going too.  Although, sometimes necessity trumps out even when an item still functions. (just, perhaps, not as well)  Case in point.  Even though we already have a canoe.  We recently bought a used Souris River 18.5 to better accomodate our growing young daughter.

Canoer97  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 7, 2014 4:48:56 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You could drag it along for old time sake. HA HA
ruddy  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2014 5:03:05 PM(UTC)

Then I might have to drag the in laws too!
MacCamper  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 8, 2014 10:45:37 AM(UTC)

For me it depends.  My canoe of choice is a 1972 Old Town wood/plastic (fiberglass) that I had restored to great condition last winter.  It is beautiful but weight wise a real brute.  Especially compared to my kevlar Winona adirondak.  Thus if I'm going on a short trip or one with limited portages I go in a classic beauty.  If I'm in it for the long haul with many portages and or lengthy portages I will take the kevlar.  At the end of the day comfort trumps memories in my book.  The last memory I want is not having a satisfactory trip because my equipment was too uncomfortable...this goes for mattresses too.

ruddy  
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:17:55 PM(UTC)

Just got back from BWCA. We put in at Sawbill lake and when we arrived there was a wood canoe convention of The Minnesota Chapter of the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association.( you can see pictures on sawbill's website) This made me think of why my father left me his canoe. He knew that I would use it and having Dad on the trip makes it that much better.
Gavia  
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2014 12:43:08 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)
My Dad comes with me on every trip. He died in 1966 but that's never stopped him.
Ruddy, you are very fortunate to have that canoe. I don't imagine you'll ever part with it. I couldn't.