Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
aslightbreeze  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 14, 2014 7:49:45 PM(UTC)

I would like some experts advise on where to start are journey! My friends and i are looking to go on a trip from june 2-5. As only a few of us are seasoned canoers, i would like advice on which entrance site would work the best for us.

Sponsor
old salt  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:57:57 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Wood lake is a good entry. Good fishing on smaller lakes.
aslightbreeze  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 14, 2014 9:03:20 PM(UTC)

How is that portage?
old salt  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 14, 2014 9:23:05 PM(UTC)

About 1/3 mi. Easy, slightly downhill to Wood. Portages to other lakes are pretty straight forward. None are difficult.
thanks 1 user thanked old salt for this useful post.
aslightbreeze on 5/14/2014(UTC)
Ben Strege  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 14, 2014 9:38:22 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I would also suggest the Kawishiwi Triangle region (entry points 29, 30, 31, or 32). The portages are short, you are never far from shore, and the fishing is all right if you know what you're doing.

aslightbreeze  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 14, 2014 10:41:09 PM(UTC)

what do you recommend using around these parts, shad raps, mister twisters?
Ben Strege  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 14, 2014 11:28:54 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: aslightbreeze Go to Quoted Post
what do you recommend using around these parts, shad raps, mister twisters?

I wasn't referring to myself when I was talking about knowing what you are doing  Maybe someone else can help you in the fishing department.

overloaded  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2014 7:35:21 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
We did well on rapala's and leaches on Bald Eagle a couple years ago.
Turtle lake for big northerns or jump into peitro the next lake to the east for great bass fishing!
old salt  
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2014 6:42:10 PM(UTC)

My map shows 180 rods = 1/2 mile. Outfitters maintain this portage, so it's an easy walk. I would head to Good (walleyes) or Indiana (bass). I find jigs with powerbait, gulp, trigger X, etc to be productive. Shallow cranks work well for locating fish. They should be shallow at time you are going. Hope this helps.
Gavia  
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2014 7:31:23 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)

Originally Posted by: bstrege Go to Quoted Post

I would also suggest the Kawishiwi Triangle region (entry points 29, 30, 31, or 32). The portages are short, you are never far from shore, and the fishing is all right if you know what you're doing.

Can't say I agree with you.  The Clear Lake end of the portage from the Kawishiwi River is Mud City.  And the 210-rodder on the North Kawishiwi is long and tough.  This would be my last suggestion to a newbie.

Gavia  
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2014 7:37:24 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)

Given that a lot of the permits for the more popular entry points are getting taken, you might want to go further afield.  I'd look at the Island River on the south side of the BW.  That area was hit by fire a few years ago, but it isn't completely devastated.  There are still two sites open on Quadga Lake, and there's easy access to Bald Eagle and Gabbro, which were untouched by the fire, and Lake Isabella.  River paddling in that area is easy because there isn't much current.

Another good entry is SeaGull.  A loop through Alpine and Red Rock, and then back down via Saganaga would be a nice 3-4 day trip.  There's a 100-rod portage that's a bit steep but that's the only challenging part about it.

If you want to base camp, try Fall Lake, which leads to Basswood Lake.  It's big water, but if you travel early you shouldn't be too affected by wind and waves.  And the two portages are virtually boulevards.

Good luck and have fun, wherever you go!

Ben Strege  
#12 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2014 8:38:52 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Gavia Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: bstrege Go to Quoted Post

Can't say I agree with you.  The Clear Lake end of the portage from the Kawishiwi River is Mud City.  And the 210-rodder on the North Kawishiwi is long and tough.  This would be my last suggestion to a newbie.

Entering at South Kawishiwi (140 rod portage) and heading up the east side of the triangle is an easier trip. Don't have to do the entire triangle - just head up the east arm and back down.

Ben Strege  
#13 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2014 9:08:25 PM(UTC)

I'll explain a bit more about my Kawishiwi Triangle idea. For new canoers, I agree completely with Gavia - stay away from the north and west side of the triangle. The east and south, though, is really easy. We did this trip with a 5 year old, 8 year old, and 12 year old:

It took us a couple of hours to get to the campsite, and then we had fun the rest of the weekend exploring the area. Had some good luck fishing the fast water. We found a walleye hole below the narrows by campsite #1128:

Are you looking at base camping or doing a loop? Focused on fishing or just seeing the sights?