Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MacCamper  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 30, 2014 4:25:41 PM(UTC)

Sorry for not posting this sooner as the water is now warm enough for wetfooting.  That said, for my birthday last February my wife purchased for me a pair of Chota Hippies with Quetico Trekker boots because I utilize the BWCA in any month that the lakes are not frozen.  Boot size matters.  My right foot fits a nine shoe and my left a nine and a half...thus I went size ten on the boot.  However, when wearing the Hippies I didn't have enough wiggle room, exchanged the boot for an eleven and was very glad I did.  The combination provided me with a very light and extremely comfortable boot...excellent support as well.

On May 14th I headed into the BW for my first adventure of the year.  Up the Temperance River chain from Baker to South Temperance for my first overnight.  I wet footed (dry inside) with my Hippies on every portage and through every portage as many were flooded...some up to two feet deep.  The long portage from Weird to South Temperance was a river unto itself and closer to Jack the river had exceeded its bank flowing across the portage in a large section.  No problem for me though as I just waded right into the froth and kept on going.

The water was cold...so cold in fact, that my solo trek had to be modified as the east side of South Temperance to Brule was frozen solid with no chance for me to continue my long loop through Cherokee, to Sawbill and back on the Fire chain.  Onto plan "B".  But I didn't care as my feet and legs were bone dry and warm through the whole first day, the whole trip in fact.  The Chota system truly worked as described.  Another point, I paddle a double blade when canoeing alone and the Chotas were perfect for paddle drippage.  

In camp I found the boot/hippie combo a durable pairing with ample flexibility, a grippe sole and warmth, even though outside of the boot was wet. I never wanted to put on my camp shoes as the leggings were so very, very comfortable.  Unfortunately I did have an issue with my right Hippie.

After day two I noticed a 'kink' along the inner right Hippie where the neoprene connected to the fabric.  The sharp fold would wear on occasion into the left boot...unless I walked bowlegged which is not conducive to proper portage navigation.  On day three there was a small hole worn through the material despite my attempts to patch with gorilla tape.  As I was ice bound upon Burnt and surrounding lakes with day adventure options, it really didn't effect my trip until I headed home on the fifth day.  My first portage I stepped into two foot water, above the hole and in ran the water, the cold, cold and wet water.  The Hippie integrity had been violated.  One note, the boot did warm up quickly as the neoprene was an excellent insulator.  

Once home I contacted Chota and they requested I send them both Hippies for investigation.  Two weeks and a phone call later and I had a new pair delivered to my door.  The service proved to be top notch.

Gear comments:

If you want dry feet in a cold and wet environment you cannot go wrong with the Chota system.  Measure your feet accurately, buy your boot one size larger then you biggest foot and follow the Chota guide based upon your personal dominions.  At twice the price they would still be worth it as dry feet are nice, especially when it dips into the 20's.

Suggestions to the factory: place wear layer material upon the knee areas to make them a better camp pant as I found myself scrambling for a clean piece of [censored] bark to kneel on.    

Love, love, love my Chotas.  Perhaps the best camping gear I have upgraded to in a long time.

Sponsor