Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kirkfish  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 6, 2014 2:50:48 PM(UTC)

Looking for ideas for a 7 day trip in August: EP 25, either Moose to Moose or Moose to Snowbank- family of five, fairly experienced- kids 8, 13 and 15. Thanks!

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 6, 2014 3:15:10 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Just a few questions before I put together some sample routes:

• How are the kids on portages?
  • How many layover days do you want? (I'm assuming you are not basecamping)
  • How long do you want to paddle on traveling days?
  • Are you planning on getting a tow?
  • Any sights that you want to see in the area?
  • Is fishing a priority?

Edited by user Monday, July 7, 2014 8:54:38 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kirkfish  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 4:22:37 PM(UTC)

Kids should be ok on portages- little one might struggle some, but she's scrappy and we won't have her carry much.  

Did a little more research and considering one site on the way in (Vera, perhaps), base camp 4 nights in eastern Knife (south, likely), one site on the way out.  We are getting a tow to the Splash Portage, Back out through Birch, then a tow back.  Looking at visiting Thunder point, then day trips Eddy Falls, and perhaps Cherry Lake Cliffs, other areas.  Fishing is indeed a priority, at least for my son and I!

Thanks

Grandma L  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2014 2:09:10 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I am doing an August trip with my older grandkids from Moose east on the border to Ottertrack and then back through Cherry, South Arm and back tracking past Dorothy's Isle of Pines to Moose.- not too much portaging and some great scenery. About 50 miles and at total of about 500 rods+ of portages. We plan to move every day but it is not a tight schedule so if we get wind or weather bound - we can make up the miles. A shorter version turning the circle at South Arm might be good for your younger crew.

Ben Strege  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2014 2:34:14 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)
I agree with Grandma L - sounds like a good trip. You probably already have thought about this, but you should be aware that the wind on Knife could cause you to either go slow at some points or take an unexpected layover day.

It's a good area with a lot of places to visit as you said. I've heard there's good fishing on Knife, but I can't confirm since I didn't fish much on my one trip to that area.