Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
reddyss  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2017 2:10:50 PM(UTC)

We are using Andersons to put us in at Brewer Rapids and take us out at Bottle.  We are seeking a relaxing trip but we're not afraid to portage as much as neccessary.  We intend to fish quite a bit and we want to spend time on some smaller waters, too.  I'd like to fish Earl and Argo and also spend 2 nights on Ted.  Below is the public link to our route (3 of us going).  3rd week in August, 2017.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.  Experienced paddlers from the midwest - first time to Quetico.  Want to make sure we're allowing for enough leisure time for sightseeing and fishing.  Plan to spend 2 nights at Brent and Ted.  Thanks!

http://www.paddleplanner.com/tools/route.aspx?routeid=4869

Edited by user Monday, January 23, 2017 2:19:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2017 9:32:44 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I'll reply to bump this to the top. I have not been to this part of the Quetico, so I can't comment too much on it. Hopefully someone else knows a bit about the area.

BillConner  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2017 7:19:22 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Those are great areas. I've been to maybe half or a little more of it. It would be 7 nights in the park for me - maybe one layover in that. We're pretty consistent 10 mile a day average, double portage, two of us in a tandem. Wouldn't seem for me to provide a lot of sightseeing and leisure time, but that may be different for you. We don't fish either.
Joe_Schmeaux  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 3, 2017 1:57:23 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I was through much of this area in 2015. You'll be in one of the less-visited areas of the park (even by Quetico standards) - I saw only a couple of other canoes in 3 weeks of paddling in early July. It's all beautiful, but many people (including me) found Argo especially nice; the clear emerald-green water is special.

I assume you're familiar with the other resources on this site? If you're experienced paddlers, you already know how fast you paddle. There should be portage descriptions here for some of your route, so that should give you an idea what to expect for that part of your trip. Use the route planner tool to tell you exactly how much time you'll spend traveling, and how much you'll have left over for fishing etc.

If you haven't already done so, you should also call the park office in Atikokan - they've paddled every square cm of the park and can provide suggestions, up-to-date info from portage maintenance crews, and lots of other helpful info.

Have a great trip!