Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AmateurHour  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 8, 2017 9:11:05 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)

Going for the first time in a couple weeks. The paddling in general looks pretty good, and I'm especially excited about grabbing a canoe to check out the water trails. Hoping that it won't be crazy crowded and that we get some good wildlife pics.

Sponsor
AmateurHour  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 7, 2017 10:26:22 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)

This place was incredible! I really, REALLY wish that our travel logistics had worked out well enough to put paddles in the water. I've posted some pictures/maps at http://www.paddleplanner.com/photos/albumphotos.aspx?album=327 if anyone would like to see them.

Here are the high points:

• Turtles, monkeys, caiman, birds, and butterflies were everywhere. Saw a whole bunch of herons that I fully expect to see again in the BW and in Wisconsin this summer.
  • The water was calm, but it was pretty sizable. The main entry water is width-wise about as big as Knife, and it's very long. From the park check-in point to the first areas away from town/lodges, it felt like it would have been about an hour or two of paddling.
  • The water between the park check-in and the first areas away from town/lodges is full of motorized tour boats. They were pretty respectful of the few paddlers in that area.
  • Tortuguero contains miles and miles of side channels that tour boats can't access, either because they're too big or because motors aren't allowed. One in particular is paddle-only to protect the manatees.
  • Kayaks are plentiful to rent, almost exclusively open-deck plastic jobs. Canoes are huge, big enough for five or six people, and look like they're mostly for guided tours. Some are smaller and available for rent.

Seeing what we saw from tour boats was great, but it very much made me hungry to grab a paddle and explore the places where most people can't/don't go. I hope we get to return someday!

Edited by user Thursday, May 4, 2017 7:54:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Eh, made the photo album in case someone else is thinking about heading down there.