Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bork55  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2017 7:14:41 PM(UTC)

My wife are staying in a cabin on lake vermillian first week of June but plan on going out on a day trip or two out of entry point 1 to trout lake. We do not plan on camping overnight. Is there a permit that can we can buy that is simply for a day trip? or is a overnight pass the only option?  I looked on the Recreation.gov website but could not figure anything out.

also, any good fishing spots or good sites in the area welcomed! :) can't wait to take my kayaks out this time instead of the canoe!

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2017 12:04:21 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Day passes are free. You just need to fill out the form. There are supposed to be forms at every entry point. I've been through Trout Lake a few times, but I don't know where the box with the forms is. Perhaps on the motorized portage? Anyone else know?

You fill out the form, which has a carbon copy. Put one copy in the box and keep the other copy on you.

The boxes aren't always filled promptly if they run out. I've never had an issue, but I've heard of others that did. You can grab some forms at the ranger station before you head out.

bork55  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2017 12:26:22 PM(UTC)

I got ahead of my self and bought an overnight pass for 2 days! lol I guess I will conceder it a donation to the BWCA cause! thanks for the info! I'm pretty excited!
Ben Strege  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2017 7:43:59 PM(UTC)

Overnight passes don't really work in your situation. A permit allows you to enter on a certain date. Once you leave the wilderness, you need to get another permit. You can cancel the permit and get everything but the nonrefundable reservation fee back.

bork55  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2017 6:39:04 AM(UTC)

Thanks for the info! I plan on getting a refund on the overnight passes and getting day passes. I am looking forward to having the perks of the BWCA during the day and the perks of a soft, warm bed, toilet and shower at night!! looking at pictures of Trout and Pine lake, it looks like it won't disappoint! Hopefully the fishing doesn't either!
Ben Strege  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2017 6:52:50 AM(UTC)

Pine Lake has some very good fishing, especially for being so close to the entry. We had very good luck there. I'm sure Trout has good fishing, too, but I just don't know where it is. Trout has very clear water.