Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ceriedy  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 23, 2017 12:00:20 PM(UTC)

Hi All!
I am a first time BWCAW trip planner, and looking to get some advice! We're going in with canoes, a couple of pups, and are mostly looking to do a lot of fishing. 

Any helpful tips- where to go, what to keep in mind, etc. will be VERY much appreciated! 

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 23, 2017 1:09:05 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

The Forest Service's trip planning guide is a great place to start - https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3799760.pdf

How long is your trip going to be? Are you planning on basecamping or moving once in a while? Do you know which side of the BWCA you are going to be on? Do you have a permit yet?

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
ceriedy on 3/23/2017(UTC)
ceriedy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 23, 2017 1:15:27 PM(UTC)

We're just in the very beginning stages of planning, so no permits yet (not sure if this will be a trip we plan to do at the end of this summer or wait until next summer), and I don't know which side we plan to be on. I've been trying to look at the interactive map and read up on different sites to get some knowledge on where to go, but there's a lot to look at! 

We'd do at least a long weekend (4 days-ish) if not a full week. And would plan to have a base camp I believe! 

I'll definitely take a look at that website! Thanks!

Ben Strege  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 23, 2017 2:27:11 PM(UTC)

That is almost the same type of trip that someone else asked me about. I put together a document with a bunch of different routes that you could look at. If I have your permission, I can email it to you. (I have your email address, just need your permission to use it.)

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
ceriedy on 3/23/2017(UTC)
ceriedy  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 23, 2017 2:34:55 PM(UTC)

Yes, that would be great if you would email it to me! You have my permission for sure :) 

Thank you!! 

Gavia  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 23, 2017 9:38:41 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I've done a few BW trips and have posted my trip reports on this site. There's a fair amount of detail in the beginning of most of them, having to do with gear and food. They may not be useful to you, but you might enjoy them anyway.

Be aware that if you're going between Memorial Day and Labor Day, and you plan on base camping, you can expect some competition for campsites. The earlier you can leave the landing, the better (provided it's light out). That will give you the most time between when people vacate sites and when they're re-occupied.

Good luck, and always remember your safety net is between your ears. :-)
thanks 1 user thanked Gavia for this useful post.
ceriedy on 3/24/2017(UTC)
ceriedy  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 24, 2017 9:37:56 AM(UTC)

I've been trying to read some of the trip reports and such to get a bit of a better idea on what to expect!

Thanks for the tips :D
Gavia  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 24, 2017 3:24:47 PM(UTC)

You are most welcome. If you have any trouble with them, you can access them on my website: http://codabone.net/canoe.htm
I have lists of gear for both solo and tandem trips. They help me remember the important stuff and prevent me from taking too much.
I hope you'll post your own trip report.
BillConner  
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 25, 2017 8:04:02 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
No one mentioned it but hooking up with an outfitter - once you have picked a general starting area - has a lot of benefits. They all seem to work hard at making your trip a success.
thanks 1 user thanked BillConner for this useful post.
ceriedy on 3/26/2017(UTC)
Ben Strege  
#10 Posted : Saturday, March 25, 2017 11:06:15 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: BillConner Go to Quoted Post
No one mentioned it but hooking up with an outfitter - once you have picked a general starting area - has a lot of benefits. They all seem to work hard at making your trip a success.

100% agree - this should have been the first thing I said. They can help you with everything from choosing a route to renting a few things to complete outfitting and guiding.

matt13  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2017 7:55:41 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

All good suggestions in here smiley Many of the active users here are BW veterans (10+ years) and will be giving you sound advice. My first BWCA canoe trip came less than 2 years ago, so in this community I'm still a newbie. This being said, Northern MN's canoe country has captured my heart and this year I'm planning trips #4 (5 days in May) and #5 (15 days in September) as well as many other trips planned outside BWCA.

In my opinion, your experience level with real world fishing/camping and gear should determine how much you rely on the outfitter. As you'd guess your spending goes up the more you need to depend on the outfitter. If you're on a budget and want to go without spending a ton of money, just be sure to do your homework ahead of time. While some people don't like to worry about every small detail, I found that the trip planning process is one of my favorite parts of the trip. It gives the added bonus for me and my trip partners to have some extra time together to talk about our trip while drinking beers at the pub. I first figure out a month and length of trip with my partners. Next find a destination fishing lake reachable in that timeframe (fish species and lake size plays into this decision). Last figure out the best way to get there (portage/paddle wise) while finding potential fishing/scenery spots along the way. This site's interactive maps and route planner can ease this entire process (props to Ben!). I like to check out specific trip reports in the same month/area for an idea of what you might encouter.

If you're specifically planning a fishing trip, be sure your partners are looking for the same. I've been on trips where one person sits on shore while everyone else goes out fishing. This can result in a bad trip and can ruin the experience (at least for one of your members). Remember that weather/bugs/fish do not always cooperate as you're plans intend, be willing and ready to adjust accordingly.  Best of luck out there!

BillConner  
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 30, 2017 7:47:58 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I still use an outfitter, but have all my own gear, prepare my own food, and make my reservations. I use an outfitter primarily for lodging, when needed a shuttle, sometimes parking, the odd piece of gear or missing map, and permit issuing. I've also purchased a lot of my gear and canoe - all used - from my outfitter. And they usually have the very latest on conditions, closed sites, and gossip, not to mention they are a great source of the history.

So, you certainly don't need an outfitter, and I'm sure if I was closer and not in need of lodging, I might not see them every trip, but I might stop in to just say hello.
matt13  
#13 Posted : Friday, March 31, 2017 8:20:28 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Originally Posted by: BillConner Go to Quoted Post
I still use an outfitter, but have all my own gear, prepare my own food, and make my reservations. I use an outfitter primarily for lodging, when needed a shuttle, sometimes parking, the odd piece of gear or missing map, and permit issuing. I've also purchased a lot of my gear and canoe - all used - from my outfitter. And they usually have the very latest on conditions, closed sites, and gossip, not to mention they are a great source of the history.

I also use the outfitters for the same purpose. They can also give you some good fishing tips as well :)

Xander  
#14 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2017 1:12:27 AM(UTC)

If your doing a short weekend that sounds like a few portages enjoy it as much a possible trip to me. I know of one that you might consider with no portages and access to more territory than you can cover in 4 days.

Last time I was camping at Hook Island on Saganaga the night before exit, after a long enjoyable trip on the Falls Chain, I seen across the lake a group get dropped off at American Point. I watched them set up camp on an Island and they were out fishing in no time. As far as I could see in every direction no campers anywhere. We didn't see anyone in the area coming in and and going out. I thought what a deal. A simple boat tow ride in and you have the whole place to yourself.

The benefit is you get dropped at American Point and you can go anywhere from there. You can base camp and have a huge area to explore. If the Gun Flint Trail entry is convenient for you, for a small cost of a tow, you can be camping in an awesome spot night one. Spend a few days to explore and get picked up.

If you like fishing you can also get a lake depth map for Saganaga.

You can also take a day trip to a few places from there to see what portages are like.

Good Luck Have Fun

Edited by user Thursday, April 6, 2017 1:18:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Bad Sentance Structure

AmateurHour  
#15 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2017 1:00:08 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Xander Go to Quoted Post

If your doing a short weekend that sounds like a few portages enjoy it as much a possible trip to me. I know of one that you might consider with no portages and access to more territory than you can cover in 4 days.

Last time I was camping at Hook Island on Saganaga the night before exit, after a long enjoyable trip on the Falls Chain, I seen across the lake a group get dropped off at American Point. I watched them set up camp on an Island and they were out fishing in no time. As far as I could see in every direction no campers anywhere. We didn't see anyone in the area coming in and and going out. I thought what a deal. A simple boat tow ride in and you have the whole place to yourself.

The benefit is you get dropped at American Point and you can go anywhere from there. You can base camp and have a huge area to explore. If the Gun Flint Trail entry is convenient for you, for a small cost of a tow, you can be camping in an awesome spot night one. Spend a few days to explore and get picked up.

If you like fishing you can also get a lake depth map for Saganaga.

You can also take a day trip to a few places from there to see what portages are like.

Good Luck Have Fun

Agree with Xander, Sag is indeed a great place. Been there half a dozen times, and I think it'll always be my favorite. Depending on your skill level be careful in the big water. Wind out of the northwest can move pretty fast between Munker Island and Hook Island. If you get wind out of the east you're probably already having a rough day, but Sag can really take it up a notch. A detour in the lee of the islands as you paddle toward American Point can save effort in the long run. Or if you're willing to shell out for a tow, you can skip the tough parts.

Portages in that area are minimal for the most part, so base camping on Sag, Ottertrack, or Knife is totally doable with easy access to nearby lakes for a variety of fishing. My career biggest northern was in the south end of Ottertrack, and the biggest walleye that either my wife or I caught was in Swamp by the Plume portage.

Will  
#16 Posted : Sunday, April 9, 2017 4:09:47 PM(UTC)

I am definitely supporting what most everyone has said here. Start with a reliable outfitter. The groups goal needs to all be on the same page too. The biggest problem we run into with new trippers is canoeing partners and matching stronger paddlers with weaker ones. Be willing to adjust overall plans according to weather. Move early in the morning and set camp early afternoon. Don't push too hard the first day (packs are heaviest) or you may be recovering for a day or two. Relax and enjoy! Trust your outfitters advice.
Gavia  
#17 Posted : Sunday, April 9, 2017 4:50:03 PM(UTC)

There's a wealth of good advice here. Speaking as a retired group facilitator, I'd say that one person sitting on the bank while others are out fishing may be perfect for that person. It would be a good idea to make sure you're familiar with each person's goals and preferences. The group's goals may differ from each individual's goals.

My strong preference - i.e., this is the way I do things - is to make ALL decisions by consensus. That means that each person:
- can live with the goal or decision that most members prefer; and
- will support it.

No one just goes along with it. If anyone has ANY misgivings, they must be voiced and resolved before proceeding. This can require significant negotiation so be prepared for some conflict. It's much better to adjust than for one person to feel pressured to go along. If one person feels marginalized, the group will experience a breakdown of trust (which is a big part of the group's safety net) and won't have a very good time.

The other thing I'd suggest is to make sure each person has a significant responsibility. E.g., one person puts food together for breakfasts, another for lunches, a third for dinners. And check in periodically to make sure each one is doing their job. That will prevent major heartburn.

Please be sure to report back. We like trip reports!