Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Woodweller  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 6, 2017 7:27:38 PM(UTC)

I'm planning a trip to Fall Lake Campground in September.  We'll camp there and day trip.  I've been through Newton and Pipestone portages and all the way to Crooked before, but what else connects to Fall?  I'm looking at the portage to Muskeg/Mud/Ella Hall but finding little info on those lakes.  I also recall wasn't there a long trail to Basswood from there?  What info is there about that?  Can portage wheels be used on that if it still exists?  I also recall the rumor of a sunken steam engine off the end of the long portage in Basswood. I notice the full length of that portage from Fall to Basswood is not marked on the Paddle Planner map.    Also is the creek from Mud to Muskeg to Basswood navigable? What about the creek from Ella Hall to Good and portage into Basswood?  Are those creeks navigable in September or are they too low by then?  Any hot fishing spots over that way?  What other activities are going on in September if a day trip is by car instead of canoe?  Any feedback would be welcome.  Thanks.  

Sponsor
Gavia  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 6, 2017 8:23:22 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I think you can go south out of Fall Lake into Farm Lake.
Ben Strege  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 7, 2017 7:14:47 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I haven't done the portage from Fall to Ella Hall, but this is what I've heard:

It is long, but portage wheels are allowed. It is an old railroad grade. The portion from Ella Hall up to Basswood kind of exists, but last I heard it was mostly underwater and a tough slog.

Ella Hall is supposed to have good smallmouth fishing. Not sure what else. I don't know anything about Mud and Muskeg.