Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fecker  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 5, 2017 8:39:25 AM(UTC)

Hi Guys - I am helping take a crew of Boy Scouts out for a 5 day adventure in July of 2017 and thinking of staying on Shell or Loon Lakes. One of the days we are thinking of taking them on a loop past Devils Cascade up to Loon, than back thru Heritage and Lynx Lakes. Does anyone know or actually done the portage between Heritage and Loon and what it is like ? Not sure on the capabitlies of these boys yet, but I know with me and my buddies we've done the portage between Shell and Lower Pauness a couple of times and it can be a bear when your out of shape. lol....

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 12:19:42 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Fecker - welcome to the board. I don't have any specific information on that portage, but feel free to give me a shout if you have questions about planning Boy Scout trips. I've planned and done a couple of them, and I've learned a lot from the experiences.

Fecker  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 3:21:59 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the input - I am really leaning towards Agnes as of right now as somthing new, and possibly making a day trip to Cananda and see some pictographs. (depending on the capablities of the kids going) But I would love to hear some of your insight for sure. Let me know what the best way and time to contact you would be.
Gavia  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 15, 2017 7:19:47 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)

Here's how someone on another site described the Heritage-Lynx portage in 1999:

"Water Level: average
Length: 100 rods
Rating: easy
Portage Description: This is a flat and narrow portage path, which doesn't appear to get much traffic other than some moose. It's actually a nice walk through the woods- some large trees and dense vegetation."

It would seem to be a lot easier than the Shell-Lower Pauness portage, but might be overgrown or have trees across it. Since it isn't all that long, if you find yourselves on Shell, it would be an easy matter to check it out on foot (after the 40-rodder into Heritage).

But given that you're thinking about Agnes, I have some experience to share. My first trip was a five-day trip with my son (first for both of us) down the Moose River, through Agnes, over through Oyster to Pocket Creek, over to Lac La Croix, through Agnes the other way, and back up the Moose River. Since then I've been in the area two more times. Trip reports are on this site and can also be found here: http://codabone.net/canoe.htm. They were in Aug. 2008, June 2010, and Sept. 2013.

If you had a few more days, I'd strongly suggest going all the way up into the northern part of LLC. It's a total of 13 portages (give or take a couple) and for tandem teams the big water shouldn't present too much of a problem. Despite the occasional motorboat, that area has a very wild feel to it.  As I recall, the loop is about 60 miles and should be doable in 5 travel days, one of them without portages.

Whatever you do, be safe and have fun! And of course post your trip report!

Edited by user Friday, December 15, 2017 7:22:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified