Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jcavenagh  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 6, 2017 4:02:56 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I am looking to buy a 16' or 17' tandem for paddling on the lakes of the Canadian shield.
Looking for a Souris River Q16 or 17; a MNII; or a Bell/Northstar Northwind (or similar)
Basically looking for a nice, used kev boat.
I can drive several hundred miles from Chicago to pick up.
email with any responsive items....jcavenagh AT cgaltd DOT com
Thanks. JIM

Sponsor
Gavia  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 8, 2018 10:43:10 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I have a Wenonah Sundowner 18 and a Bell NorthStar (16'6"). They have very different handling characteristics. The Sundowner has a straight keel with no rocker, and the ends are fairly low-volume, so it slices through waves rather than climbing up and over them. This results in water coming in the boat just behind the bow paddler when the waves are a bit less than a foot high. It also doesn't turn well, even with a good bow paddler. But it is fast and holds a lot.

The NorthStar, on the other hand, is rockered on both ends, so it's much more maneuverable. And it has more volume in the ends so it rides up on the waves better than the Sundowner.

I mention this because it's important to consider how a boat will handle the kinds of water you expect to use it on.

I don't think you can go wrong with something based on the traditional Prospector type, such as the Nova Craft Cronje 17 or the Wenonah Boundary Waters. I don't have any experience with Souris River, but they look like they have more volume than the typical Wenonah boat, such as the MN series (derived from the Sundowner). Prospector-type boats aren't fast, but they're handy, seaworthy, and hold a lot of gear.

Good luck!
Canoer97  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 6:56:58 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Take look at Sawbill Outfitters. They have several used kevlar canoes for sale on the website. I purchased one from them last year and will be usinf it this September.