Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jdkelly79  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 5, 2018 2:14:08 PM(UTC)

I am looking at driving to Atikokan to pick up either a Quetico 17' or Prospector 17.5' (haven't decided which yet!!) and figured while I'm there I should take the opportunity to paddle a bit in Quetico. I'll have my 4.5 year old daughter with me so not looking for anything too long.. just a few days before I drive back to WInnipeg. Anyone have any suggestions or must sees? I plan on coming back another summer to dedicate a week+ paddle but for now I have 3-4 days i can commit for this year.

Sponsor
BillConner  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2018 8:05:02 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
We'll, just paddling Beaverhouse would be nice. No portages. Very few people. I guess you risk a float plane. Short portage to Quetico Lake and you have pictos, sandy beaches, islands, 5 star sites, and I think even waterfalls.
Ben Strege  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2018 1:24:22 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

I'll second Bill's suggestion, especially with a 4.5 year old. Pickerel is nice but very big and can get very windy. Beaverhouse to Quetico isn't too strenuous, and you get a lot of options on Quetico Lake.

Chris Hoepker  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 9, 2018 2:22:22 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I can't resist taking the opportunity to mention one of my favourite spots on Quetico Lake and one that would really fit the bill for someone traveling with a small child - namely the beach at the southeast corner of Eden Island. I've just created an album (Quetico 2006) and posted a photo of this beach. My wife and I stopped there for lunch and a swim while on a 12 day trek in 2006. I just noticed there is a campsite there. It's not rated too highly, but on the other hand I've had good camping at some badly rated sites and anyway there are a couple of real honeys just across the channel.
Ben Strege  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 12, 2018 10:50:23 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Chris Hoepker Go to Quoted Post
I can't resist taking the opportunity to mention one of my favourite spots on Quetico Lake and one that would really fit the bill for someone traveling with a small child - namely the beach at the southeast corner of Eden Island. I've just created an album (Quetico 2006) and posted a photo of this beach. My wife and I stopped there for lunch and a swim while on a 12 day trek in 2006. I just noticed there is a campsite there. It's not rated too highly, but on the other hand I've had good camping at some badly rated sites and anyway there are a couple of real honeys just across the channel.

I stayed at this site a couple of years ago with some Boy Scouts. The campsite is OK, but the beach would be great for kids. I added my photos of the campsite to the map, but I haven't put my campsite rating in yet - I'll have to dig up my notes.

jdkelly79  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2018 12:13:01 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the replies everyone.. I'm going to put in at Beaverhouse.. driving down Aug long weekend to pick up my newly ordered boat (so pumped) from Souris River and hitting the system for a few days.

If anyone ever wants insights into paddling in MB or the Eagle/Dogtooth area just ask!
Joe_Schmeaux  
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 7, 2018 11:22:14 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Beaverhouse is a good entry point, and I'd also recommend taking the short, easy portage into Quetico Lake. I don't know if this is still the case, but there used to be a daily float plane trip into the ranger station on Beaverhouse, and there is also regular powerboat traffic to and from that station. To me, that really detracts from the "wilderness experience".

Most traffic on Quetico (there won't be much) heads east from the portage, towards Jean. If you want even more isolation, head into the northeast arm.

Don't underestimate the potential for getting windbound. Things aren't any worse here than anywhere else, but they aren't any better either. Beaverhouse is a fairly shallow lake and is notorious for choppy conditions. Quetico is a big lake too, and you'll be going west on your day out, against the prevailing winds.

Last, don't forget your bug dope for the portage from the parking lot to the put-in!

Have a good trip!

jdkelly79  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 3:18:38 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the info.. just did a 140km stretch of the Grass River here in Manitoba so I'm not too worried about bugs.. we'll be well prepared. I think we are going to just go into Quetico Lake and set up a base camp and do day exploring from there.. avoiding packing up camp every day. Any suggested sites?
BillConner  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2018 6:47:56 AM(UTC)

You may have done this or planned this, but try to allow 30-60 minutes for a tour of the SR factory. Well worth it.

Good pictos on Quetico.

I'd suggest campsite ratings on maps here as a starting point.
jdkelly79  
#10 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2018 9:01:26 AM(UTC)

I would love to get a tour but we are picking up on a Saturday and they aren't open.

I've checked out the dots (to some degree) but was wondering about the local knowledge of the park.
BillConner  
#11 Posted : Saturday, July 14, 2018 7:23:52 AM(UTC)

Ask Wayne, he might accommodate a Saturday tour. Or out day?

Sorry I can't help on Q Lake sites. I'll wager there are some gems. I found a great island site on Beaverhouse 20 minutes from the landing.
jdkelly79  
#12 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2018 3:22:02 PM(UTC)

Thanks everyone. Any idea where I can find a map of where the pictographs and stuff are?
BillConner  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, July 17, 2018 6:42:19 AM(UTC)

I think they are on either or both Fisher and Mackenzie.

Edited by user Tuesday, July 17, 2018 6:45:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Grammar repeated word

Sluggman42  
#14 Posted : Saturday, July 28, 2018 7:44:18 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)

Out of curiousity JD, which model did you go with?...    I'm partial to the Prospector (probably since I own one) but I've never paddled a SR that I didn't like..  Enjoy either way and leave a note on how it goes, I'm hoping to take my kids (6 and 3 currently) out for their first true canoe trip next summer so I'd love to hear how yours goes.