Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
allie_hera  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2019 10:30:50 AM(UTC)

Four ladies heading in to Quetico this summer.  Looking for recommendations for best 4 man tent that is lightweight.  Hoping to find something that is roomie..  

Willing to consider other options too.

Sponsor
Ben Strege  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2019 4:43:41 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 140 post(s)

In tent parlance, 4-man really means 4-kid. I'm not quite sure how they calculate that 4 adults can fit into a tent that size. If you are looking for "roomy," then look at a 6-man tent. The issue, of course, is that you will need to find a campsite that has a large tent pad that is big enough to fit a 6-man tent. You could also do two 4-man tents, which is typically the option I would go with.

I don't have any specific recommendations on it other than you get what you pay for.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben Strege for this useful post.
allie_hera on 4/3/2019(UTC)
Riley Smith  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2019 5:27:19 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)

My word of advice is that space and weight are usually opposites in terms of tents. So a tent with abundant space is going to be heavy, a smaller tent will be lighter (seems logical.) A tent for a canoe trip is no different than a tent in any other circumstance other than the fact that weight is less of a big deal on a canoe trip than on a backpacking trip, for instance, because you only end up carrying it for a portion of the time. On a canoe trip, the tent usually is one of the three heaviest items that fit in the bag (food and cookware are usually the only thing that competes for weight.) So, then the question becomes, how big of a tent should one bring for four people? Generally speaking, a five or six man tent is needed to fit four normal sized adults comfortably. The classic dome tents, though never light, are usually closer to fitting four people in a four person tent than a backpacking tent which is designed to weigh as little as possible at the expense of floor plan. When looking at tents, the fewer poles that a tent has the lower the weight: from four season tents with 6 poles+ or a tarp tied off to a tree. Try to stick with a standard tent with two poles. Also, as Ben said, you will have a harder time finding space in a campsite for a 6 person tent than two 3 person tents which is why a lot of people split it up. I have all but given up tenting in the BWCA and have turned to hammock instead for my personal trips. If you are set on one big tent instead of two smaller tents, there are plenty of deals to be had, just keep an eye on the discount sites (steep and cheap, backpacker, rei garage and so on.) And, also as Ben said, you get what you pay for. Enjoy the trip!

thanks 2 users thanked Riley Smith for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 4/1/2019(UTC), allie_hera on 4/3/2019(UTC)
Sluggman42  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2019 7:14:22 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)

I have used a Kelty Gunnison 4-man tent for years now.   Amazon link below.  I believe the current model weighs a bit under 8lbs.  My only issue is that in the most recent model that I have seen (and this may have been fixed) is that the "windows" in the rainfly are glued on instead of sewn.  The glue has a tendency to come off which obviously causes issues with the whole waterproof bit.  Hopefully this has been addressed as its been a few years since I bought that model and even with that issue Kelty was willing to send me a replacement and advised that they would do so again if needed. 

Secondly, I assume you are aware, but if not...  do not believe that you can actually put 4 adults in a 4 man tent.  If you want space, assume that you need at least a 3 if not 4 man tent for two people.   

The only possible exception I have seen to this is Cabelas Alaskan Guide Model tent.  It works out to 102" x 102" vs the Kelty which is 99" x 88".  I have not owned one, but they seem to be good quality. 

Regardless of what you go with, I highly recommend a tent with two doors/vestibules and a footprint, be it one that you buy with the tent or a tarp. 

https://www.amazon.com/Gunnison-Person-Backpacking-Camping-Footprint/dp/B01JBSFJKW/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=Kelty+tent&qid=1554154697&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A2204491011&rnid=2204487011&s=outdoor-recreation&sr=1-5

thanks 1 user thanked Sluggman42 for this useful post.
BillConner  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 2, 2019 6:20:04 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I appreciate the urge to all stay in same tent. You will need a 6 person (or larger). I looked at REI to see what that means and found a ALPS Mountaineering
Meramac 6 Tent (usually respected brand) on sale for $175. It's around 16 pounds which is not great but not awful - 4 pounds per person, which would have been good 10-15 years ago. 10' x 10'.

Finding sites with tent pads remains a challenge but they are out there. Start looking around noon. If you find a good one, you might want to stay a couple of nights. Check the campsite reviews on the maps here and when you know where you're entering, ask here for site suggestions.

PS just reread Quetico, not BWCA. Ask the rangers when you check in. The island with the old ranger cabin in Moose would be great. There's a big grassy site on Trant. I know an island site on Beaverhouse that could accommodate several 6 man tents. If it's a priority, do it. If the choice for two tents is good, it will be a little easier.

Edited by user Tuesday, April 2, 2019 6:24:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked BillConner for this useful post.
Chris Hoepker  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 8, 2019 9:58:31 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
First things first. Four ladies should not be looking for a four-man tent and no modern self-respecting outdoor equipment company in this day of ‘metoo’ should be offering four-man or anything–man. It should be four-person, or better yet, four-paddler. Gender joking aside and with memories of tent site woes, 2 two-paddler tents might be the better choice for four ladies (or four men). Also two tents affords the opportunity to separate snorers from non-snorers (especially an issue with male paddlers).

We once had an REI dome tent that was sold as four-person and it was indeed four-person until our two sons got close to teenage. Another reason I’m not a big fan of dome tents is because few have a fly that is generous enough to shelter the entrance(s) against rain (cross ventilation). The weight the manufacturers save with the tent gets eaten up by the tarp I have to carry to build a useful fly. If you absolutely insist on a four-person tent, try to find an old Mt. Mckinley. The floor plan was square and they were true four-person tents that even tall folks could almost stand in. Another great thing about the old McKinleys was that there was only one pole – the center pole, which if forgotten or lost, could be replaced by a slender tree limb.
Gavia  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 8, 2019 8:54:21 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I suggest two three-person tents, each weighing around 8 pounds. I have a Sierra Designs Zeta3 which works well with two people (unfortunately, it's discontinued, but there are similar models). Look for something that's mostly mesh with a full-coverage fly.

Two smaller tents might weigh a pound or two more, but with four people carrying, the extra weight won't be noticeable. Also, the smaller size will make them easier to pack.

Whatever you do, enjoy!